What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Great white (leuco) attack

I don't see the fuss about Hurricane Creek White. It looks pretty much the same as Schnell's Ghost to me, but has red flowers. There are plenty of green and white plants with red flowers about.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ Mar. 12 2005,1:31)]I don't see the fuss about Hurricane Creek White. It looks pretty much the same as Schnell's Ghost to me, but has red flowers. There are plenty of green and white plants with red flowers about.
I dunno.. I guess because of the article in the CPN last Spring. The picture at least on the back cover of the CPN looks to me like S. leucophylla Hurrican Creek White has less green than Schnell's Ghost. My Schnell's Ghost however are just coming up to speed so maybe they have not shown their true capabilites to me so far. John Hummer also notes alot about the Hurrican Creek White vigor which may not be readily apparent in a photo.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 12 2005,12:16)]Does the Hurricane Creek white have red pigment in the young pitchers and growth points like Schnell's Ghost?  Interesting from Imduff's observation that some of the Hurricane Creek selfing seedlings are coming out normal colored.  Almost sounds like whatever causes the lack of anthocyanin in the pitchers is a dominant trait so that only the less common all recessive plants show the anthocyanin.  Perhaps the genetic change that causes the Hurricane Creek to have white topped pitchers is different than the change in Schnells' Ghost.  Or the Schnells Ghost is homozygous so that a selfing comes out all looking like Schnell's Ghost.  Next interesting tidbit.. are all the Hurricane Creek white plants in cultivation the exact same clone or where more than one plant collected?  Sounds like all the Schnell's Ghost are from a single plant collected even though the official description allows plants which look like it to be called the same with the same name.
The genetics of these plants are far from being resolved. The Hurricane Creek leuco does produce anthocyanin but, it's limited to the growing point. Then the question becomes, "what determines the extent of anthocyanin production?" Perhaps this is a recessive trait. I'd speculate that there are likely multiple linked genes involved. If Sarracenia genetics behaves like other more studied species, there are likely other genetic phenomena involved.
 I've seen several natural bogs, and I agree that the Hurricane Creek plant is nothing totally unique. Although, after growing the plant for a few years I'm very impressed with it. It produces huge, vigorous pitchers, and a fat rhizome. As someone that enjoys hybridizing, I find it is a wonderful parent to use in crosses. John has several clumps all over his property. To see them in full pitcher in the fall is a sight second to none; massive snow-white pitchers covering the landscape. Again, as a hybridizer, it's everything I look for in a leuco parent.
 The Hurricane plants originated from about 5-6 different plants. All the plants look the same and are all considered the Hurricane Creek leuco.

imduff

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 12 2005,9:16)]Does the Hurricane Creek white have red pigment in the young pitchers and growth points like Schnell's Ghost?  
My Hurricane Creek White has quite a lot of red in the young pitchers. I have only had this plant for a couple months and it is just sending up its first pitcher of the season, but judging from the existing phyllodia I would say that the redness is temporary. Here is a pic of my first pitcher on this plant. Hurricane Creek White

Cheers
Steve

Yeah, seems like a normal green and white leuco, but by the sounds of it, it's pretty vigorous. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful plant and I would buy one if it was available more widely here.

Back