What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia flowering in the fall?

I have a typical S. leucophylla except that it flowers in late October or early November. 2004 was the second year that it did this. Is this common? Why is it doing this in the fall and not the spring? It grew normally otherwise for the whole spring/summer growing season. Any thoughts?

Where do you live? Any climatic changes that wouldn't be common in leucophylla's natural habitat can confuse it sometimes into flowering at weird times.

Sometimes even in the wild, a cold wet spell followed by warmth can trigger flowers in the fall.

I live in east central Florida about 200 or so miles south of its natural range. The only real difference between here and there is our winters are generally milder -- less nights of frost -- and a little drier.
I have a few other Sarracenias and none of them are doing this. All of them, including the one in question, have gone into a normal dormancy in late November or early December and start coming out of it about now -- early March -- for the 3 seasons I have had them. All the others start off with flowers in March except cooky Leuc!
It is otherwise a perfectly healthy plant or at least looks like it is. I am not too worried about it; just curious. That is unless it indicates something dreadful like it is dying or something.
If it does it again this year, I am going to make sure I pollinate the flower and get some seed. Then I can grow the seed and see if the offspring flower in the fall as well.
I will also make a point to note the weather prior to flowering this fall. Last year it seemed like it started growing the buds about two weeks after the last hurricane slammmed through here.

I find that leucophyllas can be the most difficult of all the sarras to keep. Flowering at odd times, autumn pitchers in spring, no pitchers in autumn! They're picky about weather conditions.

If you put it outside in a bog they are fairly easy. If the leuco always does this it would be an interesting plant to propagate and trade off (maybe a cultivar). I don't know my leucos have not flower yet for me but maybe this or next year.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (cphog @ Mar. 12 2005,10:17)]I live in east central Florida about 200 or so miles south of its natural range.  The only real difference between here and there is our winters are generally milder -- less nights of frost -- and a little drier.
I have a few other Sarracenias and none of them are doing this. All of them, including the one in question, have gone into a normal dormancy in late November or early December and start coming out of it about now -- early March -- for the 3 seasons I have had them.  All the others start off with flowers in March except cooky Leuc!
It is otherwise a perfectly healthy plant or at least looks like it is.  I am not too worried about it; just curious.  That is unless it indicates something dreadful like it is dying or something.
If it does it again this year, I am going to make sure I pollinate the flower and get some seed.  Then I can grow the seed and see if the offspring flower in the fall as well.
I will also make a point to note the weather prior to flowering this fall.  Last year it seemed like it started growing the buds about two weeks after the last hurricane slammmed through here.
I wouldnt suppose you live enar pam bay eh?

I had my big S. leucophylla flower in the spring the first year I got it and the second year it didn't flower...next year it also didn't flower, this year its going to flower.....go figure.

Like Alvin Meister said, cool weather followed by warmth will trigger flowers. We've seen severe summer thunderstorms drop temps enough to do this! And S. minor can flower just about anytime thru the spring and summer. Would recommend removing the fall flowers so as to not zap the plant of energy as it approaches dormancy.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Would recommend removing the fall flowers so as to not zap the plant of energy as it approaches dormancy.

So it would be better not to try and get seed from it? MAy be I'll divide it next year and get seed from one of those. This fall flowering may just be a fluke of weather and not something genetic. Okay. Thanks everyone.

Back