What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photographs 2005 season

That copper top IS amazing. That is the MOST colorful copper top I have ever seen. Where'd you get it? (drool, drool, slurp, drool)

I am so glad to see another thread like this.  This year I can actually add a few photos of my own.  This first plant I just bought from Botanique and received it in the mail yesterday. What a fun plant-

S. 'White Sparkler'
5958bd52.jpg

This is a photo of my best flowers.

S. rubra ssp. jonesii. I got this plant from Sarracenia Northwest a few weeks ago-
db40eb3c.jpg

very nice Laura, my favorite nusery in town just got an order of sarracenia from cooks, I spent 60 dollars but they were well worth it and I plan on mowing lawns to regain the money

"That 'White Sparkler' is a killer plant Miss L." Like Mother like Daughter! Tee he!  

Why thank you and thank you again. But seriously, I can take no credit for this plant. It came to me in that good of condition yesterday and all I did was pot it up and snap a photo. I do love it and I love every plant I have bought from him.

editing to add something-
I just noticed this, " my favorite nusery in town just got an order of sarracenia from cooks". Boy oh boy that man is a glutton for punishment! He's doing wholesale now in addition to all of his eBay listings and everything else he's got going on with his new job and buying out that other nursery PLUS a wife and kids and all those greenhouses to take care of??? Wow! I wish I had half his energy.

Rob is a good man. Knows his stuff.

Yes, Rob from Botanique has proven to be a quality nursery. I have never gotten a bad plant from him and he packs them for shipping as if they were your great grandma's antique china.  Everything arrives in the condition you see photographed. No bugs or weeds in any of his plants either and he keeps his website up to date. I hate bugs.

Boy Laura, you sure can pick your hobbies.
~Joe

Well Joe, didn't know anyone was up this late. I have another new hobby as of yesterday. It's an even more obsessive hobby than growing CPs. It's called find the engagement ring before the husband comes home from camping with the kids. I was out gardening and was weeding in the early hours while it was still relatively cool and there was a lot of morning dew on the weeds I was pulling out of the ground. I was tossing the weeds in a pile to throw out later. The ring flew off my hand and it is out there somewhere. I've been out there on and off throughout the day with a metal detector trying to find my ring. Now what were you saying about how I really know how to pick my hobbies?  Looks as if this CP habit of mine might have been more costly than I could have ever imagined. Time for me to sleep so I can get up bright and early to look for the ring again.

Here's some crummy pics of my S.flava "coppertop" it stayed outside all winter and is only now finishing flowering (I think it's a coppertop, looks like one to me)
Also I had to bring it inside to snap the pics, it would be brighter outdoors
biggrin.gif

myflava.jpg

myflava2.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ June 12 2005,12:20)]editing to add something-
I just noticed this, " my favorite nusery in town just got an order of sarracenia from cooks".  Boy oh boy that man is a glutton for punishment!  He's doing wholesale now in addition to all of his eBay listings and everything else he's got going on with his new job and buying out that other nursery PLUS a wife and kids and all those greenhouses to take care of??? Wow!  I wish I had half his energy.
no they were not in wholesale just a couple of nice sarras, the only thing that was in large quantities was 10 S. purps and alot of weed D. inermedias other than that there was 2 cobras, 2 leucs, and some nice hybrids that I wish i could've afforded
EDIT: Mabudon your pics are very nice, I would just like to add something, the lady there said she kept S. Moorei in her outdoor bog with no mulch and it does nicely, what are you guyseds thoughts, she doesnt mulch and the coldest it got this winter was around -20 degrees that day had a high around 6 degrees. Do you guys think I could add a small bog with a Moorei in it?

here are some photos of my new sarracenia sorry theyre a little blurry:
S. 'Moorei'
Photo001.jpg

S. minor 'Giant' x alata:
Photo002.jpg

S. flava var. Rugelii:
Photo003.jpg

S. flava x rubra:
Photo004.jpg

S. 'Ahlesii' clone #2 This is a fantastic Hybrid from Alabama, you'll never believe I gto it as a bonus in an order:
Photo005.jpg

S. 'Readii' Alabama Red this is the one I paid for it's fantastic I hope it reddens up in the hot sun:
0eb2d6c4.jpg

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarraceniaobsessed @ June 11 2005,8:03)]That copper top IS amazing. That is the MOST colorful copper top I have ever seen. Where'd you get it? (drool, drool, slurp, drool)
Hi Brooks,
I got the plant in a trade/purchase something more than 6 yrs ago (10??) and I have no record at all where I got it (before I kept decent records). Since then I've given or traded plants with a number of people and then they've given/traded, etc so the plant is 'out there'.

When Dean Cook can get some extras, he also sells this clone (& regularly requests more...).

I just gave away my last spare a few weeks ago and I owe one to another friend.

The S. flava rubricorporas have deep red tubes and this S. flava cuprea has a deep red lid but the S. flava atropurpureas I've seen tend to fade w/ time (I've heard about peat tea, etc). At Meadowview, they appear to hold their color well - maybe it's the intense sun??

SflavarubricorporaRS.jpg

Here's the S. flava rubricorpora that colored up so nicely.

RL,
That would be the famed 'Kimber Red Ruffles' Dean sells then. I have gotten two and lost both of them to fungus. This clone seems to be highly prone to fungus for me. What are your growing conditions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Sarraceniaobsessed @ June 13 2005,8:24)]RL,
That would be the famed 'Kimber Red Ruffles' Dean sells then. I have gotten two and lost both of them to fungus. This clone seems to be highly prone to fungus for me. What are your growing conditions?
Nope - never had a problem w/ fungus w/ that plant. During the summer of continual monsoons 2 yrs ago, I lost some VFTs to black spot (or something similar like anthracnose) before I even realized they were sick.

I've grown everything in 100% sphagnum peat for the last 5+ years w/o any issues until 2 yrs ago. This past winter, I switched 90% of my plants over to a 50:50 sand / peat mix. I think I may have put too much sand in some of the mixes because I'm not getting the wicking to the top of the pot. The surface becomes bone dry even though there is water in the tray.

Hi Brooks, When you mentioned the 'Kimber Red Ruffles', were you referring to the S. flava cuprea plants that RL7836 sent to Dean Cook or to the S. flava rubricorpora photographed above? Maybe you were referring to the atropurpurea? Did somebody go and register RL7836's flava var cuprea plants? I can't find 'Kimber Red Ruffles' listed anywhere as a registered cultivar. Just curious as it is a spectacular plant. If it isn't a registered cultivar, it should be.

sure i place my photo in this thread and han i forget to come check it for questions..............anyways no new Sarr pictures but here is one of my Ceph

ceph.jpg

SflavaverticalhoodsRS.jpg

This is an S. flava from North Carolina that I grew from seed a number of years ago (seed from Phil Wilson). The vertical hoods are typically retained throughout the season (although some hoods on a few pitchers do bend somewhat) (...and yes they are the 1st to fill up from rain and fall over...)
smile_h_32.gif

Back