Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Miniture waterfalls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

Hi,
    I am thinking about getting one of those tabletop miniture waterfall thingys to grow my darlingtonia in.
    I was going to get some live sphagnum and put it in the "pools" in the waterfall, with the plants growing in the sphagnum. That way the water is continously running across the roots. I am hoping to implement this idea before it starts getting hot here.
    Has anybody thought about growing darlingtonia like this, or is there anyone actually doing it?
    Where can I find one of those little waterfalls? I haven't seen them in any stores that I've been in recently.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let us know how it works out

Somewhat Unstable superimposedhope's Avatar
    Where the Slime Live; Where the Slime Breed
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one of those! I never use it! I'd be interested to here how it goes.

Joe
    \"There is nothing here of interest to any nation, as a matter of fact there is nothing here but humans!\"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds cool. Two things you'll probably have to think about. First is the materials the fountain is made of (a lot of them are metal, which probably isn't good). Second, you may have to put some foam or something over the input of the pump, because the debris from the sphagnum may do some damage to the innards.

You can also make your own fountains out of ideal materials... tubing and the pump are all you need to make the water flow.

Take some photos when you get it working.

EDIT: Here's an idea, skip the flimsy pump and use an internal power filter for aquariums. I don't know if there's a kind where you can attach tubing to the outlet though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does running water make things any cooler though? In the wild the running water just transports cool water from elsewhere onto the roots. Your fountain would just move the water about for no reason.
    You might as well just keep the plant in a big pool of still water and sphagnum moss.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think there's more to the benefit than temperature, like aeration. Plus stagnant water may encourage rot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cobras are a lot tougher than people think. I've never known them rot - in fact I find them tougher than sarracenias.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darcie & Goldtrap2690, in old topics, have come up with creative ways of providing water flow. Darcie's was with a reptile ornament. Just do a TF search for Darlingtonia or cobra lily, older than one month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast