What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yahoooo!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ Mar. 16 2005,11:33)]I never let the flowers open, because I dont care about seeds, and I would rather have that energy go into the production of pitchers..
The flowers are formed the previous fall in Sarracenia, so cutting them off in the spring saves the plant minimal energy at best. If you don't want seeds, just remove the flowers once the petals fall. Or better yet, save the seeds and give them away.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Mar. 16 2005,8:55)]
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I had no idea this thread would get such a response!  Well, the minor is one of a few sars I brought out of dormancy early this year (i.e. couldn't wait).  Also my oreo, x 'Moreii' (thank you Mr. Weed), x 'Doodle Bug', 'Scarlette Belle' and maybe one other (can't remeber of the top of my head).  Those haven't shown scape yet, but I still have and older flava, leuco, leuco tarnok and leuco 'red' waiting to break dormancy (if they made it, that is...not too confident on that flava...didn't look great last summer).  Hope the leuco and leuco red flower for me, too.

Pondboy, I would be very interested in pollen, but have no idea how to remove it or ship it (I assume we would swap pollen, then share seeds, right).
If you enlighten me, you're on.  I think mine is from TC, though, as I got it from an online nursery.
Well my S.minor-Long County Georgia`s flower is just about to open. I`m thinking I could put some ripe pollen into some tinfoil or onto a Q-tip,put it in the freezer, and ship it to you when your`s is just about ready.
I wouldn`t realy need the seeds,but if you would like to send me some come fall I won`t object!

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I`m thinking I could put some ripe pollen into some tinfoil or onto a Q-tip,put it in the freezer, and ship it to you when your`s is just about ready.
That would be great! And I would naturally share the seeds 50/50 (providing I'm successfull in my pollination attempt, that is).

Yeah but Dean runs a business that is based on how many plants he can grow (and flower) and I would not consider asking Brooks, I'd go insane.  I have open right now:
S. flava 'Cook's Bayou, Fl'
S. purpurea ssp.purpurea x. rubra (It has a red flower just FYI, I think most do though)
I will have
6 S. minors if they do not abort
2 S. alatas
1 S. flava
1 S. leucophylla x. psitticenia
1 S. 'Scarlet Belle'
3 S. purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii 'Buck Pond'

You could do some crazy crosses there! Scarlet Belle x flava would be interesting.

Ok,just pm. me when your flower looks like it`s about 3 days from opening and I`ll send the pollen:) (I think I`ll probably just f2 mine though)

Scotty, I have always been told that sarrs send flowers cause they have extra energy that they wanna spend and so the send up flowers. I can't believe you wouldn't want flowers! They are awesome!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
Oh well whatever makes you happy, cause well youre not me.

Back