What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yahoooo!

schloaty

Staff member
My S. minor is sending up a stalk! In three years growing, this is my first sar flower. I am psyched beyond beleif. Pics will come when it opens...

smile.gif
smile.gif

nice! you've never had a sarr flower? wierd i always thought you ha dlike tonsa sarras

Ha! My first sarr flower was tarnok. Minor is nice though, they're all nice. I was kinda disappointed when i found out tarnok is STERILE, since the only reason i bought it was for seed.

Im with you Dave.. this is the first year I will have Sarr flowers too. On todays count I have 13 buds on plants including 'Judith Hindle' oreophila, and leuco red. I cant wait to see them open
smile.gif

Cheers
Steve

Heh, I'm getting my first ones, too, on Judith Hindle and oreophila. Fun stuff!

Capslock

Unfortunately, I have not tallied them all. But, my s. flava var. rugellii has nine scapes on one rhizome. Must be sick. Last year it had more. Oreo scapes number 5; 3 on Cherokee Co., 1 on DeKalb Co., and 1 on Marshall Co. oreo's. Minors are chiming in, no count yet. They aren't done yet. Rubras are just coming up. Gulfensis Heterophylla has 1. One minor plant has 4 scapes. Leah Wilkerson looks like she is putting up a redwood tree!! Leaves and flower on this one. Both my Schnell's Ghost's are putting up scapes too. I can't even count the alata scapes yet! I am so excited! Pollinate, pollinate! That's all men ever think about!! OH, YEAH!!!!!!! No purp flowers this year. Was looking forward to the purp show. HEY! That's purp, NOT PEEP!!!! Lets keep this thread up! I am curious who has what, and when. Will give me a chance to count them all.

I have an S. alata and and S. minor putting up blooms this year. Last year the alata flower was huge but a bird or something broke the stalk right after it dropped all its petals after pollination. This is the first year the S. minor has flowered -- I'm a very excited about it.

Bugweed you make us feel so bad. I have 13 at last count (If the minors develop).

C'mon you guys. Look at my growlist, and the years I have been at this. With that list, its no wonder I have as many as I do. However, if you want your jaw to drop down to your shoes, ask Brooks Garcia how many blooms he deals with every year. Or PDX, or Imduff, or Jay Lechtman. Lots of folks have more plants than me.
Look at Dean Cook! YOW!!!!!!!

My S.minor Long county Georgia has a flower stalk that will open the blooms in about a week. Would you like me to save some pollen for you,Dave?

Screw my growlist, Kirk! PDX wrote awhile ago, and cut off about 300 scapes. He still has some select scapes for crosses and such, but he trimmed the rest. I don't think I will come close to 300 scapes.

PDX and I have been laughing about this. I have cut 530 scapes so far. Last year was 670. I am also keeping only the flava and leucophylla going. One of my minor Okee Giants would have had around 56 blooms but........mwa ha ha.

Phil

I have a ton too. I'm too lazy to count. Perhaps a hundred or so. Had flavas open on Feb. 1. Leuco x moorei about 2 weeks later. Most should be open soon. I'll probably whack off most of them. I'm not getting much opportunity to do crosses this year. That's okay, since i have and will have too many seedlings to know what to do with. I did cross 'Cobra Nest' with (alata x oreophila) x mitchelliana. Should get some nice red plants out of that one. I pollinated 'Mardi Gras' with 'Hummer's Hammerhead' once last week, but i haven't been back since. I'll probably make a few more once it's all said and done, but it won't be like years past. Especially if the slugs or caterpillars or whatever's been munching on them continue to have their way.

2 on my alata white flower, 1 on my popei x flava cuprea. It's been cold here, but is now warming up. Temps will be 70F at the weekend, so I should see a lot of flowers suddenly appear over the next few days.

Last year I had 40 flowers in total.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

I had no idea this thread would get such a response! Well, the minor is one of a few sars I brought out of dormancy early this year (i.e. couldn't wait). Also my oreo, x 'Moreii' (thank you Mr. Weed), x 'Doodle Bug', 'Scarlette Belle' and maybe one other (can't remeber of the top of my head). Those haven't shown scape yet, but I still have and older flava, leuco, leuco tarnok and leuco 'red' waiting to break dormancy (if they made it, that is...not too confident on that flava...didn't look great last summer). Hope the leuco and leuco red flower for me, too.

Pondboy, I would be very interested in pollen, but have no idea how to remove it or ship it (I assume we would swap pollen, then share seeds, right).
If you enlighten me, you're on. I think mine is from TC, though, as I got it from an online nursery.

To post pollen the best thing would be to get as much pollen onto a paintbrush as possible and wrap the brush part in foil. Then secure with sellotape and post the whole paintbrush.

To ship pollen, try carefully to remove a few of the anthers just as they are beginning to pop. Place these in a small wax paper envelope then wrap in small bubble wrap and mail. You can also collect a lot of pollen on the end of a very clean, unused paint brush and tap this over a piece of clean white paper. Tap the pollen grains into the wax paper envelope along with the fresh anthers, or just by itself. The anthers should be allowed to "air ripen" in a warm, draft free area of bright light. This process has worked beautifully for me for many years.

Have fun breeding.

Phil

I must be missing some exciting part of this hobby, because I dont care in the slightest to let my Sarrs flower!
I cut the buds off just like VFTs!
I never let the flowers open, because I dont care about seeds, and I would rather have that energy go into the production of pitchers..
its just odd to me to see people so excited about flowers when I dont care about them at all!
to each their own I suppose..

Scot

Back