What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dream sarracenia

So what Sar are you dying to get your mits on but just can't seem to get? There are only 2 Sars on my personal dream list. The first is S. Oreophila. From what I hear this plant is vigorous in cultivation easily divides, extremely cold tolerant, brings out color and vigor in hybrids etc. With a plant as awesome as this you'd think it would be easy to get one right? Wrong. It appears as if all nursery's live in states other then Ohio. Since S. Oreophila is endangered it can't be shipped accross statelines unless it is a gift or unless the seller has permits. Next on my list is another Meadowview Research station plant. It is Sarracenia X Green Monster you can see a picture of it on their website here http://www.pitcherplant.org/greenmonster.jpg  Now tell me is that not the most gorgeous Sar you have ever seen? Looking at it makes me drool.

*I decided to edit out so business info since I wasn't sure if it was abiding by foum rules.*

Here's my most wanted list:

1. The sarr that likes southern california and is super-resistant to all mealybugs and fungi
confused.gif

2. I've always wanted flava var. atropurpurea - you know, the all red form. Unfortunately virtually nobody in the U.S. has it.
smile_h_32.gif

3. Minor 'okee giant' is way cool - also rather hard to find, but I know at least one place that sells it.

Peter

Check around the online nursery's. If you place an order an ask nice enough for a spare oreophylla they'll usually give you a good sized plant along with the order.

S. flava and S x catesbaei are on my hit list. I'll probably be picking up a flava at a local nursery tomorrow
biggrin.gif

I just gave a S. catesbai away.
I want a S. oreophylla, S. leuco "schnells ghost", and S. minor.

Do you have anymore? I could trade an S. minor

You can order S. oreophylla seeds from the ICPS seedbank, if you're in the US. $1/packet plus $3/order, and CITES appendix I species, they request a few more dollars donation ($5, I think). Definitely worth it.

I have several S. oreophylla seedlings and S. rubra ssp. alabamensis seedlings right now.

This is not the trade forum. Keep it to the thread topic.

I'd like anthrocynan free plants.

I had an extra oreophila this spring, but I "donated" it to my wife's greenhouse. Maybe next year. I have a large one that could be divided next spring.

That green monster is a cool plant. I believe it's an antho-free x excellens. It is too bad meadowview is so expensive, although the money goes to a good cause. One of these days I'll buy some plants from them. They have a flava x minor i've wanted since I saw it there while visiting. just a monster of a plant. the only other plants on my dream list are probably 'Leah Wilkerson' and 'Adrian Slack'. I am impatiently waiting for those to become more widely available. Otherwise, my other dream plants are all my seedlings from crosses i've done over the past few years. i'm just too excited to see what they become. my first batch is now just putting up large enough pitchers to see what they're like.

I want S. oreophyla 'sand mountain', minor 'okee giant', albamensis AL002, AL003 and anything else that's not AL001. I also want S. lueco 'schnell's gost' and I'll probably come up with more later. I have and ordinary oreo that Dean Cook gave me last year... he sent me one decent plant that now has three or four offshoots.

Here's my hit list

S. 'Hurracane white'
S. 'Inhemoteph' (haven't heard about it? you will)
And that S. purp x(fava x flava) in the Savage Garden. Always love that one
Other than that Any Sarr with location Data (for the NASC) Would make me estatic.

For years there were always rumors of "all black" flavas in the Blackwater Forest. It's always been my hopes of walking upon one. An anthocyanin-free alata from Mississippi would be another good one to find. It's amazing what's been found in the wild, already. It's probably a matter of time before these get discovered.

imduff

i'd like a hybrid containing every species. i know it would be pretty ugly, but i could call it S. 'Ultima" or something cool

I was thinking the same lines of Justlikeapill
that would be a pretty awsome plant, i woudnt care hat it looked like, the label would be outrageous!!!
olol
Hellz

You'd be best off crossing two hybrids each with 4 species in there. Otherwise, you'll end up with a monster hybrid, crossed with the last remaining species, which wouldn't have a very equal percentage of genes from each species.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ Mar. 17 2005,6:54)]i'd like a hybrid containing every species. i know it would be pretty ugly, but i could call it S. 'Ultima" or something cool
i also was thinking of doing something like that at some point. probably a few years away though.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i'd like a hybrid containing every species. i know it would be pretty ugly, but i could call it S. 'Ultima" or something cool

I was actually thinking something along the lines of S. 'X'
smile_m_32.gif

Back