Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping squirrels away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have something that has twice dug up the upperland part of one of my bogs. Everything was scattered but nothing injured. Although I was not home for two days lasttime so soem 'Dews' are missing. Fortunatly my S. psitticenia x. rubra anthro free from copper was fine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had terrible squirrel & bird trouble last year. I made "cages" out of hardware cloth that I set over the plants. The holes are about 5/8" square so there's plenty of room to let bugs in. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Growlist

We are perishing for want of wonder, not for want of wonders.
    - G.K. Chesterton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried the blood. That lasted until we had a few good rains however it attracted raccoons that soon discovered I had ponds over here. The raccoons ate all the fish in my main pond so I ended up having to run electrical zap wire around one of them. Now the raccoons are in my garbage and composters. They never left. Opportunistic thugs.

The squirrel feeders do work in all seasons except fall around here. The only problem with the squirrel feeders is that is artificial feeding and I swear the squirrels have a network and tell their buddies to come on over for the free smorgasbord. We had about 20 squirrels and that number doubled when we stocked feeders with peanuts so we stopped. In fall, the feeders didn't help at all as the squirrels are hardwired to bury acorns and nuts. I am in a heavily wooded area of oaks and hickories. The feeders might work in areas that don't have fruiting trees.

I'm still thinking chicken wire on a frame or attached to stakes is about the best for me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used bird netting for ever. It worked for me and was easier to handle than chickenwire, and because it is black and thinner than wire, it doesn't interfere with the CP view.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks bugweed I will try that for mine.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I may try that too. My back deck is rather small and I could easily enclose it with bird netting.

I'm hoping the Flava will pull through from it's damage. Thanks to everyoen for their suggestions, and don't be afraid to offer more!
    The Best Part About Being a Sociopath is Never Having to Say You're Sorry.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Make sacrifices to the squirrel gods?

The fruit tree netting is virtually invisible from a distance. I't is considerably more attractive than the chicken wire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Poison the little buggers.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast