Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Keeping squirrels away

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a bird table that is visitied by unwelcome squirrels and use, as a temporary measure lasting a few weeks, a method that is a bit cruel, but effective (not sure how to apply it to your situation). I watched where they climbed and how and picked a spot where they had to put their feet. Next I make a mix of butter nad chillie powder (strong), and paste the mix so that they will get it on them. They then try to lick it off and with a rapid flick of the tail - leave at a rate of knots. It lasts a few weeks and then they are back to relearn the same lesson.
    Any help?
    BR
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I made a small stand and covered it with this plastic mesh used for covering trees, I believe this is the bird netting. It was like $14 for a huge roll of it. They get frustrated, I've seen a squirrel jump up on my stand and hang there on the bird netting, just staring at the plants inside! They are so crafty!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My squirrels have read these posts and they are forming a labor union. They are organizing and it is rumored scissors will be standard issue. Just kidding.

Say the one big problem I had with the netting when I draped it as a stand alone is that one of my mourning doves (husband says my memory is failing and it wasn't a mourning dove) got in it and was tangled to the point I had to go out there and risk getting pecked to free him/her. The bird didn't even try to peck me and I was able to release it very easily without cutting the netting. This only happened once although I hear horror stories of people finding dead Blue Birds as well as other species. I think the positives of using netting far outweigh the negatives. Since we're always lovingly watching our plants, I doubt very seriously if any bird would go all that long unnoticed. I am using the bird netting over the tops of chicken wire enclosures because of the English House Sparrows in my area. It is spring time and they will soon be raising young. English House Sparrows feed their young insects. These birds are notorious for being survivors and if you have high numbers of them present in your area, it is only a matter of time before they figure out that some plants are basically breakfast, lunch, and dinner on a silver platter- easy pickins. There are quite a few people who come home to shredded plants and assume it was a squirrel when in fact it was English House Sparrows. Video cameras are wonderful things and I had that netting up over the chicken wire so fast it would make your head spin the minute I saw them hanging around my bog plants. No sense letting them get so much as one insect to reinforce a stimulus repsonse type situation. I can guarantee they'd try to hang out in and around my plants in the years to come thanks to learned behavior. English House Sparrows don't just raise young in the spring, they can successfully raise their young up through the fall and it is not uncommon for them to start right up after one batch fledges. They can do this 3-4 times per year.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i lost my oreophila to a squirrel as i dug it out on a hot summer day when i was at school leadingit to drying out and after repoting it did not recover and died. That really annoyed me considering that the plant is so rare to get and it was given to me by dean cook along with one of my orders
    ~Brandon~ aka ~Carnivorkid~
    Member of SEPACPS
    My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm really sorry about your plant.

No pun intended but, "I feel your pain".

Cutest little critters but there are certain times of the year that I'd really like to ring their little necks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    funny iv never had problems with the local squirrls or birds.
    that makes no logic

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why Finch...
    You've (cough gag gasp for air) never experienced the joys of squirrelhood? Might I have your mailing address so that my excess may be shared with you. These "things" are just so much fun that no one should hoard. It just wouldn't be right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ Mar. 27 2005,11:25)]I'm really sorry about your plant.

No pun intended but, "I feel your pain".

Cutest little critters but there are certain times of the year that I'd really like to ring their little necks.
    I'm seriously thinking of changing my avatar to a squirrel centered in crosshairs.

They are an acceptable replacement for skeet.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast