What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus follicularis

Whenever I feed my cephalotus<span style='color:red'>[Edit: I'm assuming you mean Cephalotus follicularis, species names have two parts, first part=genus, always capitalized, second part=specific epithet, always lower case; together they comprise the species name]</span>, the pitchers develope some kind of mold and shrivel up. I have tried feeding them crickets, ladybugs, and milk. Could this be from stagnant air? Or bad food maybe?

you're probly overfeeding the pitchers. They will die if they are overstuffed with food. It will cause them to rot. Try a flea or a fruit fly or something similar.

I tried to feed my Cephalotus<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected to read, Cephalotus follicularis]</span> crickets once. The pitcher started to brown and die a day or 2 after feeding.
I use betta pellet food from time to time and have no problems with that.

I've noticed that happens with someo of my neps as well, if the bugs reach over the acid level, big trouble arises, and the pitchers rot.

True story, i would try pin head crickets

i would try moistening your finger and sticking it on an ant to get teh ant to stick to your finger, and then drop the ant in the pitcher. I did that to feed my droseras<span style='color:red'>[Edit: corrected spelling of genus name, Drosera]</span> once.
smile.gif

I dont feed my Cephalotus<span style='color:blue'>[Edit: I'm assuming you mean Cephalotus follicularis, species names have two parts, first part=genus, always capitalized, second part=specific epithet, always lower case; together they comprise the species name]</span> at all, they catch tiny flies that fly about from pot to pot.

I must be overfeading. I'll go out and buy some pellets. Maybe those will work. How many do you think i should feed it?

one

then try two

My ceph<span style='color:red'>[Edit: I'm assuming you mean Cephalotus follicularis, species names have two parts, first part=genus, always capitalized, second part=specific epithet, always lower case; together they comprise the species name]</span> devours lots of flies with no problems to the pitchers. What conditions are you keeping yours in?

i keep mine in relaxed lowland conditions. got it almost a year ago this summer.

i dont feed it anything, just foliar feed.

i never fed mine either it just got a few nats here and there. But it died this spring sadly i dont know why.
smile_h_32.gif

I keep it inside my terrarium that is in my basement. My basement is heated, but it gets a little cooler at times. The terrarium is about 20 inches tall, and I keep some cardboard on top to raise the humidity. I also mist it every night. My humidity gauge says 60 percent humidity, but it it isn't very accurate. It's in a 3 inch pot. Sadly I only have one pitcher left, and I'm afraid of repotting it.

If you only have one pitcher left, I wouldn't even waste the time or effort of getting the pellet food. I would just let it grow new pitchers and give it some time. Many times they catch small insects that live in the soil, that you may not even be able to see. I would try feeding it when it is a little more stable.
Let us know how it goes,

Cole

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tonytheterrible @ Mar. 29 2005,10:36)]I keep it inside my terrarium that is in my basement.  My basement is heated, but it gets a little cooler at times.  The terrarium is about 20 inches tall, and I keep some cardboard on top to raise the humidity.  I also mist it every night.  My humidity gauge says 60 percent humidity, but it it isn't very accurate.  It's in a 3 inch pot.  Sadly I only have one pitcher left, and I'm afraid of repotting it.
Where does the light come from? Is it in standing water?

<span style='color:red'>[Edited topic title, was: Cepalotus. Corrected to read, Cephalotus follicularis]</span>

If you have trouble with the leaves dying after being fed. My suggestion would be to stop feeding them.

I grow mine under lights and never feed it.It grows like a weed and only gets what it catches.

Jerry

Pingman's on a roll.

They're picky eaters, just feed fruit flies and you'l be ok.

Joe

I keep mine outside during the summer and found that the pitchers rotted if I put any flies inside. Anything I tried rotted the pitchers until I tried ants. I'm not sure what it is, but I can stuff an ant per day in a pitcher and it just acts like fertilizer to the plant.

Ron

I'll try ants first, and then fish food when some of my pitchers grow back. It seems like it's starting to grow again. I'm so excited!!!
smile.gif

Back