Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia pics

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just recently received 3 different Sarracenia & 2 of them were sent with their pitchers cut off. The rhizomes that were sent appear different then Sarracenia rhizomes that I had before these 2.

Here is the S.oreophila, as you can see it only appears to be growing from the ends of the rhizome and the middle is just hard and brown. Is this normal, or is there something I can do to fix it?

Here is a picture of the other rhizome and it has the same sort of problem only appears to be growth from one end. S.flava ' red tube'

Here is the third Sarr that I got. No problems with this one just showing it off.

S.purpurea ' Brunswick Beauty'

And I figured while I was at it I would show ya'll a pic of my new pup Sophie.

Thanks Craig
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The brown section is just fine, and is probably still alive in the middle and has live roots coming off of it. Rhizomes always grow at the tip(s), and the old leaves eventually die off, but the leaf bases still cover the rhizome. Mature plants sometimes sprout new growing points from brown parts of the rhizome; you can even make cuttings of these sections when you divide the plants.

Peter
    the cellist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    those seem very nice, I need to get me some more red purps for the greenhouse, so far only got rosea
    EDIT: BTW I forgot to say our puppy is sooo cute, looks like mine when he was a little puppy although mines a black lab/pitbull mix
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like your oreophila are starting to flower. I would let it finish and wait until you collect the seed and then divide. No use taking a chance with a rare Sarracenia like this one.

Slack and others explain a method to "notch" the rhizome first and then dividing some time later. I have just cut through the rhizome with no problem.

Keep the oreophila drier than your other Sarracenia. I let the topsoil get a little dry before watering.

Some people say place them in standing water. I almost lost one of my oreophila, following this method, to rot. Even the ICPS web site mentions this for oreophila. I would not risk losing a plant with this method.

A trick I use is to place a soft woody plant like Impatiens in the pot with the oreophila. When the Impatiens starts to droop, water thoroughly. You may have to water more than this once higher temperatures approach.

I use a soil mix of peat, cactus potting soil, vermiculite, horticultural charcol and clay. I added the clay because the geological formations in which oreophila is found contain clay. They have survived the winter and appear to be fine.

I am going to experiment with clay pots this spring, as they dry the soil better than plastic pots.

Tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Tweek,

I had not heard of anyone watering Sarracenia oreophila anyless then any other Sarr. So do you think that new growth will sprout up from the hard brown in the middle or will the growth always come from the exterior of the rhizome?
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Wolfy
    As Tweek has said the brown bit can be tempted in to growth by cutting a v in it to a depth of about half way this should encourage it to produce another growing point.I have used this a few times and then you can cut the whole thing in two and pot up as two plants
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] Bye for now julian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (wolf9striker @ Mar. 29 2005,10:10)]Here is a picture of the other rhizome and it has the same sort of problem only appears to be growth from one end. S.flava ' red tube'

IMO, that rhizome is sitting too high.
    too much of it is above ground..
    I would bury it deeper so just the top edge of the rhizome is showing abouve the moss..

probably not a huge deal either way, but the plant might be happier buried a little deeper..

and its not a big deal if it only grows out of one end, the plant will put out more growing points when it feels like it!
    if you think the rhizome is long enough, you culd simply slice it in half and the other end would make a new plant!

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Wolf,

Odds are, most times it will not sprout from the middle(uncut).

When the rhizome is divided, it normally will grow from one end.

I have a oreophila that has a long rhizome. It has new bud growth in several places along the rhizome. It is a strange looking rhizome. It looks like the letter "Z", but with a third step(extend the letter "Z" downwards and make another line out like the bottom of the "Z". This one tries to send up growing points all along the rhizome.

Another critical growing consideration is to keep part of the rhizome exposed above the top of the soil layer. I think this aids is allowing the rhizome to dry easier.

I find success in growing any plant by replicating the conditions in where it is found. Oreophila is different than most of the other members of Sarracenia. Grow it differently.

Tweek
    \"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing.\" - EInstein

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast