Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions on this plant...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm trying a Lowes rescued Darlingtonia in an improvised pond basket. So far, so good.

I took a 6 inch plastic pot and melted 1/4 inch holes spaced an inch apart all through the pot. I'm using the tray system, growing under lights, the soil is LFS & live LFS.

It's been about a month and a half - now it has 3 happy new hoods!

Good luck with it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmm, I never did quite understand what you did to the pond basket. I did like the idea of the aquatic plant basket so I potted my plant in one. I used an 8" though as I didn't dare send my husband back to Home Depot again. I used 100% LFS as I figured what the heck, that sounded better than the idea I had. I did not have any live LFS though. Right now, the aquatic basket is in that stainless steel bowl so that the LFS hydrates well. Tomorrow morning I'll take the pond basket out and rest it in that pyrex plate and add about an inch of water or so.

Have you any ideas what I should do with my seedlings? They seem to be growing well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had good success last year with my Darlingtonia's by putting them in one of those white shower baskets with all the drainage holes. I then planted them in a mix of LFS/sphagnum peat moss/vermiculite and red lava rock. I kept them out in full sun during 90* weather with and never once used frozen ice cubes or cool water and they grew like weeds. It's a pity I kept them too wet over winter and they rotted. I am pretty sure the trick to growing these awesomely in the sun is to give them an extremely loose/airy mix so their roots can breathe and get oxygen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks nice -

I have 8 inch pond baskets that are still on "backorder" from a mail order company. So, I used the soldering iron to melt/poke holes all over a regular ol' plastic pot to make something similar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks as if quite a few people are electing to use "ventilated" pots. Now I understand what you did to your pot. You made your own aquatic basket. I have two more actual aquatic baskets the same size. Do you need them? I will not be getting another mature Darlingtonia so it would be no problem to send them your way. I think they came from Home Depot of all places if that helps but Menards carried them also. They were very affordable.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (LauraZ5 @ April 04 2005,12:33)]Looks as if quite a few people are electing to use "ventilated" pots. Now I understand what you did to your pot. You made your own aquatic basket. I have two more actual aquatic baskets the same size. Do you need them? I will not be getting another mature Darlingtonia so it would be no problem to send them your way. I think they came from Home Depot of all places if that helps but Menards carried them also. They were very affordable.
    The aquatic baskets I would assume are allright however I generally shy away because they are usually black which absorbs heat. But I don't think they would absorb so much as to kill a plant unless you lived in like Tuscon arizona or something.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12