Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to stop cross polination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unhappy

I have several Sarrs sending up flowers for the first time this year. I would like to keep the seed pure. Any suggestions, links, experience, etc. would be gratly appreciated.

I can seperate the plants but I'm afraid that that won't be a sure fire way to keep from cross polination. There are lots of polinators in my area.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Glenn

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Muslin bags are commonly used to cover the flowers.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can self-pollinate the flowers.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i cover my flowers with cheescloth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Or leave them open hand pollinate them and hope no insects pollinate them. They will probibly open at different times anyway. The seed I hope to have is labeled but that is approximate. Since I was not here to pollinate them until today.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that Sarracenia flowers will try to self pollinate (if they are not cross pollinated) by lifting the style (umbrella) so that pollen falls towards the stigma, and that to be absolutely certain all anthers should be removed before they ripen.
    If you want to self pollinate then removing anthers is not an issue
    BR
    Chris

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Remember that Sarracenia flowers will try to self pollinate (if they are not cross pollinated) by lifting the style (umbrella) so that pollen falls towards the stigma
    There's some debate about that. After 2 weeks the pollen in the style is a sticky mouldy mess and won't move towards the stigmas. The tipping is possibly a sign the flower has been pollinated and for the insect to move to a different flower, increasing overall pollination success for the flowers in the bog.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not only is the pollen stuck together and moldy, but also the speed at which the flower tilts is not great enough anyway. If the plant were capable of very quick motion, like a bird flipping its head back to eat a berry, pollen might hit the stigmas. In reality pollen which wasn't caked and useless would just slide slowly down one side of the style and then fall to the ground. It would result in very little, if any, pollination.

Additionally, I do not think the stigmas are receptive after the petals fall, before the flower turns up.
    Newnan (Atlanta), GA
    - what do you do when your bog is full? you build another. and another. and another. then you buy some pots. and some more. and some more. and some more. then you wonder how much it would cost to rework the hydrology in your yard to place your house on an island. -

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast