What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

One ceph to rule them all!.

Hi all:

I got this picture from a friend of mine whom i consider amongst the best ceph growers in the world!.
Beautiful specimen indeed.

Brewer's%20supergiant.JPG

Gus

OK. I like it. When does mine arrive?? LOL!!!!!!!

yeah, make that two. I'll take one also.

See? kahnli and I are waiting for ours. However, I WILL NOT be ruled by a plant. Besides, it is from a foreign country, and I refuse to bow down before it. I do not mind being the ruler of the plant, not the other way around.

smile_k_ani_32.gif

Which friend may this be?

hmmmm my baby Ceph has ALOT of growing to do. however im with Bugweed on the ruling thing though sometimes the N. veitchii of mine has me wondering
smile_n_32.gif

While I'm not convinced that the specific clone matters with Cephs, any idea what clone this is?

John Hummer brought a tank of plants like that to the ICPS Conference at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Incredibly impressive - he sold them all w/in a 1/2 hour or so.

Ron

he must have i "think" got the pic from Mr. Brewer as it says on the bottom of the pic.

very nice plant

Thanks

BRad

Very nice!My plant is not even close to being that big.

Jerry

thats a really nice plant there, my ceph is One plant to be ruled by all, its so small....

Holy cow! I could put my foot into that and wear it as a moccasin!

Beautiful plant.

Any info about the conditions this plant is grown under? Just curious as to how "one of best ceph growers" grows his plants.

Thanks Gus!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (RL7836 @ April 08 2005,2:30)]While I'm not convinced that the specific clone matters with Cephs, any idea what clone this is?

John Hummer brought a tank of plants like that to the ICPS Conference at the Atlanta Botanical Gardens. Incredibly impressive - he sold them all w/in a 1/2 hour or so.

Ron
Ron,

You are not the only one whom I have heard say this.
I had a plant form Bruce Bednar that I unfortunately killed a few years ago, but it was the size of this plant pictured and it was deep maroon. AFAIK, it was no special clone.
I really have a hard time arguing against charles Brewer, though, whether giant clones exist or not.

Cheers,

Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] (The Griffin @ April 11 2005,3:43)]I really have a hard time arguing against charles Brewer, though, whether giant clones exist or not.
Joe,
I completely agree. Charles is a good friend and I have been to his place and seen his collection. His passion for and knowledge of cephs is pretty amazing.

If you had a plant this size and it was maroon, that would be an argument for a special clone (even though you did not think it was). Any of the plants I've heard of or seen this large were all green and grown in fairly low-light situations. A large maroon plant may be unique.... never heard of one. How did you grow it (substrate, lighting, pot size, etc)?

My largest 'Hummer's Giant' spent the summer in the sun last year (which technically many say is a no-no), was nicely colored but had traps just a little over 1". Although it did have 3-4 growth points and sent one shoot over about 6 inches to start a new colony (pretty cool).

All the best,
Ron Lane

Ron,
Originally, it was in pure peat, of all things. This was advice from Mr. Allen Lowrie himself.
Then the mix went sour and I repotted into something closer to what Mr. Brewer uses. I used 40% milled pshagnum, 40% perlite, 10% peat and 10% sand.
However, I think the main thing with these guys is letting the tray dry out before re-filling. I don't think they like sitting in water all the time.

Cheers,

Joe

Back