What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

After looking at the topic with all the Sarracenia photos, I was reminded of a mini 'pet-peeve'. Compared to other seedbanks, the ICPS seebank is incredibly under-represented (check out the CPS seedbank sometime).

With all of the people that we have growing flowering Sarracenia, it's almost tragic the amount and selection of seed in the ICPS seedbank. Isn't it odd that we must go to England to get a really representative selection of Sarracenia seed?

I do not want to insinuate that anyone should rush out and rape native stands of Sarracenia for their seed (& they absolutely should not!) but when I look at the number of people in the US and the number of people growing native North American pitcher plants, the quantity of seed in the seedbank is sad...

... so get out there, bag those flowers, pollinate them and collect that seed!! (and send it to the seedbank)
smile_n_32.gif
Especially the 'purebred' non-hybrid plants...

Although this a pitcher plant topic - the same goes for Drosera & Pinguicula - where's all the seed? Nobody in the US/Canada grows D. linearis or...?

BTW - congratulation to the CPS seedbank for their amazing collection

....rant over
smilie4.gif

All the best,
Ron Lane

You've got a good point Ron. And while there are several growers on this forum that do send in seeds, there should be a lot more. I hardly ever check the ICPS seed bank anymore. It's the same seeds almost every time. It would be really nice to see a bigger variety of seeds.

Remember you can give your seeds away for SAEs here at Terraforums. Only one member seems to go on a giving-away spree each fall - I want lots of people this year!
Out of 50 -100 seeds in a pod, sow half yourself and give the rest away
smile.gif

Do you have to be a member to send in seed?

i dont think so

but i think you do to get seed.

i need to join.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]With all of the people that we have growing flowering Sarracenia, it's almost tragic the amount and selection of seed in the ICPS seedbank.

Since my flowering Sarracenia are of unknown parentage, I'm hesitant of giving them away to anyone... so there they sit, in my fridge.
smile_h_32.gif
I gave some away on a giveaway last year, but there wasn't the demand or follow-through that I hoped for, so I bagged the idea.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Although this a pitcher plant topic - the same goes for Drosera & Pinguicula - where's all the seed?

I donate as much as I can. Can't wait for my Petiolaris Complex to start producing fertile seed. If only they weren't quite so young and could only synchronize flower stalk production LOL.

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 12 2005,1:58)]Only one member seems to go on a giving-away spree each fall - I want lots of people this year!
Yes, because I won't be doing it this fall. The plants were kept in a greenhouse this winter, and because of my schedule, I didn't really have a chance to get in there much to pollinate. I did a couple and that's it. And with those, I was only able to pollinate 2-3 times at the most, so I won't end up with much seed this fall.

Personally, I'd be happy to take any seeds anyone gets this year, regardless if it's man-made or bee-made crosses. Although I may change my mind if all the seeds I planted this spring sprout. I don't know where I'll find the room.

Just for my FYI, what species are least represented in the seedbank?

Here's the current Sarracenia list:

Sarracenia -- hybrid 7
Sarracenia flava 28
Sarracenia leucophylla 39
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. purp. var heterophylla 16
Sarracenia purpurea ssp. venosa 100
Sarracenia rubra ssp. alabamensis -- ESA/CITES 20 CITES -- USA only
Sarracenia rubra ssp. jonesii -- ESA/CITES 100

I'm not sure if this is representative of the Sarracenia seeds normally available. However, it probably is reasonably representative of the total number of Sarracenia varieties - give or take a few. For more info, you can probably email John (email on the seedbank page at bottom).

The entire list is available online at:
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/seeds.php

For comparison, here's page one of the CPS seedbank:
http://www.thecarnivorousplantsociety.org/cpsseedbanklist.html

All the best,
Ron Lane

Very salient points indeed.

I posted my similar concerns about seedbank and its lackluster stock.

I was met with the proverbial institutional "brick wall" responses.

It would seem that the concerns of an ICPS member should not be rebuffed; especially, when that member is trying to improve the ICPS.

ICPS members are encouraged to contribute to the ICPS. Yet, when they do, they are rebuffed on why the ICPS seedbank can not be better than the UK CP seedbank.

I FEEL LIKE I AM TAKING CRAZY PILLS!

Small minds always seek the warmth of continuance of the status quo.

The secret "behind the scenes" allotment of choice seed to "preferred" seed donors is deplorable.

The ICPS is a supposedly open society. All members should be treated equally. This behind closed doors nepotism should raise the outrage of all ICPS members.

The weak argument to justify their behaviour is that there are few seed donators and without them there would be no donations.

If it takes voting out all current ICPS office holders - so be it. For such important positions, I can not believe that no ICPS office holder has not stood up to these Draconian standards.

I say, open up the ICPS seed bank to all ICPS members!

FREE THE SEED!

Tweek

S. purp. heterophylla thats not there anymore. At least not on the normal list. I would love it but I don't really want to bug John with my three credits hanging around.
My seed this year. After it goes to promised people I will give the rest to the seed bank but I only have aproximate crosses. I mean they were hand pollinated but they were also open. John did not like my North American Drosera mix last summer. Anyway the only problem with the seed bank is lack of exact location. I mena I have gotten some seed that is straifying that was labeled something like: S. popei from ( S. rubra ssp. rubra BLAh Blah road NC x. and so on). That would never fit on one of those nice labels.
But all said I love the seed bank.

Just kidding on that purp.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The weak argument to justify their behaviour is that there are few seed donators and without them there would be no donations.

I wonder why there are so few donators? Any ideas? Anyone know why the CPS is loaded while the ICPS is not?

confused.gif

-Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (tweek @ April 13 2005,7:00)]The secret "behind the scenes" allotment of choice seed to "preferred" seed donors is deplorable.

The ICPS is a supposedly open society. All members should be treated equally. This behind closed doors nepotism should raise the outrage of all ICPS members.

The weak argument to justify their behaviour is that there are few seed donators and without them there would be no donations.

If it takes voting out all current ICPS office holders - so be it. For such important positions, I can not believe that no ICPS office holder has not stood up to these Draconian standards.

I say, open up the ICPS seed bank to all ICPS members!
Hi Tweek,
I'm not sure I understand your complaint about the ICPS seedbank.

You feel if they stopped 'rewarding' the people who actually donate the seed to the seedbank that there would be more seed available to the people who take seed out of the seedbank?

You're obviously upset about their allotment process but I'm having some difficulty following your logic.

I donate seed to the seedbank so I'm aware of what 'special' seed is available to donors and I can very honestly say that the small amount of 'special' seed that is held for donors is truly nothing special (at all) - as far as I have seen.

If you are thinking that there is all this really great stuff if only it was open and available to everyone - think again. Last year there were a few packets of 'all red' VFT seed and a few weeks ago there were 2 packets of D. arcturi seed available to donors (& more stuff that was even less special). The special stuff doesn't come close to what the CPS offers and I don't think that changing the rules to stop giving donors a small benefit will help the ICPS improve the rate of donation.

OTOH - it appears that your recommendation would reduce the rate of donations. Help me understand your logic because it appears that I'm missing something...
smile_l_32.gif

Sorry I forgot to refesh my window ignore the post about the purp. not beeing there.

Does the CPS really got that big of a inventory?

Cheers,

Joe

Yeah they do. One day I will join and get some seed. The ICPS should have more seed but I think most of us promise seed to other people and also want a one to one ratio of donation to return. Not sure though. I will donate a lot again this year. I only had 60 packets last year but that was the majority of seed I had.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]The ICPS should have more seed but I think most of us promise seed to other people and also want a one to one ratio of donation to return.

I started giving away seed here on the trading forum a year ago, if I recall correctly. Nowadays I just send all my extra Drosera and Pinguicula seed to the ICPS seedbank. My primary motivation is to get rid of the stuff without that much hassle, since I'd HATE for seed to go to waste. The "reward" system is a nice novelty; like Ron said, it's nothing too special.

Homer

[b said:
Quote[/b] (homer @ April 12 2005,3:15)]Can't wait for my Petiolaris Complex to start producing fertile seed. If only they weren't quite so young and could only synchronize flower stalk production LOL.

-Homer
Homer,
I have 3 of the same Petiolaris Complex plant flowering at one time. My problem was the flower stalks are so long they grow out of the terrarium they were in. The flowers did not form correctly because of the lack of light. I ended up cutting them off.
smile_h_32.gif

You know I think petolaris complex must be a lot rare-er here in the US then over seas.

Back