Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Icps seedbank

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After looking at the topic with all the Sarracenia photos, I was reminded of a mini 'pet-peeve'. Compared to other seedbanks, the ICPS seebank is incredibly under-represented (check out the CPS seedbank sometime).

With all of the people that we have growing flowering Sarracenia, it's almost tragic the amount and selection of seed in the ICPS seedbank. Isn't it odd that we must go to England to get a really representative selection of Sarracenia seed?

I do not want to insinuate that anyone should rush out and rape native stands of Sarracenia for their seed (& they absolutely should not!) but when I look at the number of people in the US and the number of people growing native North American pitcher plants, the quantity of seed in the seedbank is sad...

... so get out there, bag those flowers, pollinate them and collect that seed!! (and send it to the seedbank) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Especially the 'purebred' non-hybrid plants...

Although this a pitcher plant topic - the same goes for Drosera & Pinguicula - where's all the seed? Nobody in the US/Canada grows D. linearis or...?

BTW - congratulation to the CPS seedbank for their amazing collection

....rant over [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

All the best,
    Ron Lane
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You've got a good point Ron. And while there are several growers on this forum that do send in seeds, there should be a lot more. I hardly ever check the ICPS seed bank anymore. It's the same seeds almost every time. It would be really nice to see a bigger variety of seeds.
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember you can give your seeds away for SAEs here at Terraforums. Only one member seems to go on a giving-away spree each fall - I want lots of people this year!
    Out of 50 -100 seeds in a pod, sow half yourself and give the rest away [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have to be a member to send in seed?
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i dont think so

but i think you do to get seed.

i need to join.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]With all of the people that we have growing flowering Sarracenia, it's almost tragic the amount and selection of seed in the ICPS seedbank.
    Since my flowering Sarracenia are of unknown parentage, I'm hesitant of giving them away to anyone... so there they sit, in my fridge. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img] I gave some away on a giveaway last year, but there wasn't the demand or follow-through that I hoped for, so I bagged the idea.

Quote[/b] ]Although this a pitcher plant topic - the same goes for Drosera & Pinguicula - where's all the seed?
    I donate as much as I can. Can't wait for my Petiolaris Complex to start producing fertile seed. If only they weren't quite so young and could only synchronize flower stalk production LOL.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (Alvin Meister @ April 12 2005,1:58)]Only one member seems to go on a giving-away spree each fall - I want lots of people this year!
    Yes, because I won't be doing it this fall. The plants were kept in a greenhouse this winter, and because of my schedule, I didn't really have a chance to get in there much to pollinate. I did a couple and that's it. And with those, I was only able to pollinate 2-3 times at the most, so I won't end up with much seed this fall.

Personally, I'd be happy to take any seeds anyone gets this year, regardless if it's man-made or bee-made crosses. Although I may change my mind if all the seeds I planted this spring sprout. I don't know where I'll find the room.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just for my FYI, what species are least represented in the seedbank?
    I remain a man obsessed with a genus
    Brooks

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast