Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia help!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just Planted some cobra's in large plastic pots mix peat/perlite.

One pot in the celler with flor. lights and the other with metal halide light 400 watts. I have a custom terr. built and It house many diff. kinds of cp Plants. The temp in the terr. does not get to be more than 75.f and humid. 50% up to 70%
    at night. I then take the pot out of the terr. at night and put it into fridge to get a 20 D. drop. I then put it back in the morning. Two days later the large pitchers started to get soft and flopped over. The other ones are getting soft too. ie these are pitchers from last years growth that's how they were shipped to me. The one in the celler is fine picthers hard and the celler is cold 24/7. Does this plant need to adapt what should I do.

Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe it doesn't like the fridge? Wouldn't that be a big humidity drop every night?

I never do anything special with my cobra lilies and they're like weeds. You could also try an airier mix like LFS... I think that's where my success came from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Instead of placing the plant(s) in the fridge, just pour ice cold water over them at night.

-Homer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hay, Hellz here,
    yes, it might have something to do with the fridge, i would do as homer suggested, with ice cubes of CP safe water.
    samething goes for endparenthesis, ive read that Darlingtonia need more air around their roots than alot of other plants, and more importantly so than cool roots, although it is important as well and so, an airier mix wont hurt to try, it will, if anything help the plant
    hope this has helped
    Hellz
    Nike SB is Bananas

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What if I put it in the celler every night instead of the fridge
    and in the morning put in the terr. with my other plants. I did
    re-plant it in a mix of LFS/perlite/sand/peat. This way it can get the cool drop of temp. at night.

What do you think.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why not just leave it? A plant on a 70F windowsill all day and all night will do fine.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok how about leaving it in the terr. and just water it twice a day morn. and night with refridge. water will this work.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You don't specify where you are, so we don't know what outdoor day/night temps apply. My Darlingtonia are all outdoors right now (I'm in metro Atlanta, zone 7-8). I'm with endparenthesis in that I don't "baby" mine and they're all sending up new pitchers. They get good morning sun outside; shaded afternoons and evenings. They don't get drastic temp. changes and have adapted just fine. I mist them after I get home in the evening and make sure the LFS they're in doesn't dry out. They're in a mix of peat, lots of LFS and lava rock.
    Perhaps I'm wrong, but I've never thought cobra lily's to be terrarium-friendly. Anyone... please feel free to correct me if I am mistaken about that. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast