What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava trouble

ok, newbie qesyion, but i think my s. flava is dieing! its getting all crispy on me like it doesnt have enuff water or something like that but i have it in a tray of water( with other cps) under some grow lites. whats going one?

thanks, jon

p.s. if u need a pic i can supply it.

a pic would be nice...
Is there any new growth or has that stopped also?
How long have you had the plant?
Did it get dormancy this year?

Moved to Sarra forum.
Andrew

a .pic would be great, sounds like either too much light, ro not enough water, if it is too much light, all you ahve to do is mo ve it to a lower light area, and slowly move it into the sun, it will adapt in time

its basically impossible to give a sarr "too much light", so that likely isnt the problem..

yes, existing pitchers that have been grown in too little light can fry and burn if suddenly exposed to more light, but thats ok, because as new pitchers emerge they will be able to withstand the increased light..
more light might be "bad" for the current pitchers, but more light will be FAR better for the plant as a whole in the long run.

the spring growth on my sarrs all fries to a crisp when I first put them outdoors for the season.
I grow them indoors next to a window from February - April because its still too cold to put them outdoors..all the growth that grows indoors is not acclimated to "outdoor light"..as soon as I put them on the other side of the window they literally burn and turn brown on one side..
but thats ok! because the full direct sunlight is what the plant needs..
those early spindly weak burnt pitchers will just get cut off in a month or so when a new healthy crop of pitchers has emerged..
think in terms of the plant as a whole, not in terms of protecting the wimpy indoor growth..(exact same thing applies to VFT's..)

so.."too much sun" is basically impossible..unless you live in the desert.
sarrs need FULL direct intense sunlight pounding right down on them, as much as you can give them..

Jon,
what kind of media is your plant growing in?
how long have you had it?
did it get a dormancy this winter?
what kind of light is it getting?
indoors or outdoors?
Scot

you'd be surprised at some of the burn marks on my S. leuco. Tarnok, and S. Oreo x Flava, as well as S. flava, I put them in full sun in the greenhouse, they got burned within the hour

and what type of water are you giving it?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]you'd be surprised at some of the burn marks on my S. leuco. Tarnok, and S. Oreo x Flava, as well as S. flava, I put them in full sun in the greenhouse, they got burned within the hour

Scorching in the greenhouse can be caused by the lack of moving air high up. Opening louvre vents prevents this.

Back to the original question, what is your flava potted in?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Kirkscoastalcarnivores @ April 16 2005,4:52)]you'd be surprised at some of the burn marks on my S. leuco. Tarnok, and S. Oreo x Flava, as well as S. flava, I put them in full sun in the greenhouse, they got burned within the hour
yes, burning definately happens,
but again, the fact that leaves burn does *not* mean they are getting "too much light"!...
it means they werent getting enough light before they burned!  ;)

the plant will still be better off putting it into the "burning light"..even if the old pitchers burn.
because the new pitchers will take the light without burning, and the plant as a whole will be better off with the high intensity light in the long run..

Scot

ok, unfortunatly it seems that u need ur own website to post pics hear so ill just describe the scene. about a month ago i got 2 pp, 2 dews, and 2 bladderworts. they came bareroot so i potted them all in a 50/50 peat/sand mix and have them standing in a long low tray which i add distilled water when it drys out at the bottom. the two bladderworts are doing fine (there even flowering, but i hear there easy), one of my dews is doing fine, but it doesnt seem its grown any new leaves, the other one looks like its leaves are drying out like the s.flava and my poor s.flava looks like its completly dead! its all brown and crispy (but the mix is moist!) i have it right next to my vft and its doing the best out of them all! i have them all in my basement (which is low humidity, but the trays of water had down pretty weel for my vft) there under a grow light thats only a couple of inchs above the tallest of them ( the s.flava) its that close due to the flowers that im growing right next to them. plz help me! i dont think i can save my s. flava, but maybe i can save my dews, plz help.

one more thing the temps. in the bsement are a bout 70.

They are probably adjusting to the different conditions you have compared and just ned time to adjust. Give them 2-3 weeks and they should be growing great.

you can get free picture hosting space right here!
go to:

http://home.petflytrap.com

click on "web home community" and "create new account", then you will be able to upload photos and post them in messages!

thats strange about the S. flava.
I dont know what could be causing it to decline.
try to upload some photos and post them in this thread, that will probably help figure out what is going on.

do you have anywhere outdoors you can out your plants where they will get full sun?
at least the Sarrs and VFTs..they will do MUCH better outdoors.

Scot

From the sound of it you have a fungus. There are a number that do a quick nasty job on Sarrs. First they look a little wilted and then they crisp out. I have seen it happen to a plant in less than 2 days.

Unfortunatly at this point there is not a lot you can do to save the plant. You might be able to harvest a scale but getting those to grow can be tricky at best.

I would recommend you get a fungicide to treat your other Sarr as well. Something like Cleery's 3336 or Daconil.

Unfortunately, we agree with Pyro. Sounds like rhizome rot.

Trent and Michelle

nature%20014.jpg

ok, i made a little home page and hears my s.flava i took it yesterday.

nature%20015.jpg

hears my poor dew.

nature%20016.jpg

and heres the whole set up ( except for my vft, who is not in the pic. tell me what you think.

o, one more thing i noticed yesterday that im freaking out about is when i took the pic of my s.flava i noticed a small strange beetle on one of my s. flavas pitchers! (its in the picture on the pitcher thats all the way to the left on top of it) its like a small black and white lady bug or sometin and im wondering if it has anything to do with my problems, after takeing the pic i grabbed it and chucked it into one of my vfts traps and it promtly disapeared, very strange, i hope its not a problem.

Your flava's dead I'm afraid.

What kind of lights are they growing under? It looks pretty dim and your flava looks quite etoliated. I expect a lack of air circulation also encouraged the rhizome to rot. The environment you're growing in isn't really suitable for a mature tall species of sarracenia.

i have them growing under grow lights, im not sure about the wattage ill check, but if my area isent right for growing them, then where is?

o and one more thing, ur sure its dead? i would hate to throw it out if its still alive, i doubt it though.

Back