Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just sent in an order to California Carnivores, and I ordered the species collection and an additional S. alata bulb. I would like to put these plants outside in a drained container filled with pure LFS. Is this a good idea? How should the pot/water tray be? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sounds fine. Where do you live? The container can't be too deep, but you want to make sure it's deep enough not to dry out.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well you could do an undrained 30 gallon rubbermaid or sterlite container. IT will take about a bag of sand and 2 cubic feet of sphagnum peat moss (total price = $19.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in Kansas. I need a decent looking pot otherwise my dad won't let me put it outside, so the rubbermaid container may be out of the question.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    whiskey barrel maybe?

VFT and Drosera lover vft guy in SJ's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could consider one of those long window-box type planters, or something free standing. I have seen things along the lines of what I believe you are looking for at Home Depot. They can be a bit pricy compared to plain jane plastic pots and saucers, but if you have to have something that is visually appealing as well as functional, its probably going to cost you some $$.

For what its worth, I grow my Sarracenia in recycled 1 gallon pots or 6 and 8 inch plastic pots. All with deep plastic water trays. Its not super pretty but it does the job, and in the end, most people are so taken with the plants they never even notice the pots.

Good luck
    Steve
    There are only 2 infinite things... the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not too sure about the universe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I did mean bury the container int her ground so you had an artifical bog.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This wouldn't help the minibog much, but I have found that setting your pot and try down in a bigger clay pot helps anchor the plant and it hides the plastic pot without actually injuring the plant.
    A reccomendation(sp) for the mini bog would be to go to a local flea market. There are about a million possibilities with those places. I've seen those long planters at places like Home Depot and Lowes, but I don't recall them ever being expensive, especially the plastic ones. They look decent too.... maybe it's just where you are and exactly what you are wanting? LOL
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast