What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can i repot my sarracenias right now ?

Hi , my sarracenias have outgrown there pots a bit . There in 4 inch pots and they are starting to touch the edge of the pot . I've read alot and heard that repotting them and disturbing there roots might set back growth or have a negative affect on the plants , especially when they're in flower . Well , I was just wonderin if this is true and if repotting them now is more betterthen letting them overcrowd the pot until I can pot them at the optimal time which is winter . I was planning on just pulling the plants out of their pot with their root ball intact and all and just putting them in bigger pots with soil around the old rootball without really disturbing the roots at all . How's the sound ?

No problem doing it the way you mentioned. The roots are not actually "disturbed", to any great extent, and will continue to grow into the new mix of the larger pot.

That is how I like to do it, GT. Best to not disturb root and rhizome too much at all.

I repot mine like that, no problems whatsoever, I recently bought a two foot tall leuc form ejremiah, repotted it just fine, its doing awesome

Greetings,

I recently barerooted some Sarracenia that where forming pitchers and flower stalks. They continued to grow as if nothing happened. You could just slip them into a larger pot, but if the soil is starting to break down and smells foul (bacteria build up), it might be wise to remove some of it and give the roots some fresh soil to grow in. It will also give you an opportunity to inspect the rhizome for health.

Brian

Yeah on any new plants you want to inspect the rhizome (my first oreo had that D@%* bug that eats the rhizome over which I was horribly mad at).

Back