Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Darlingtonia not doing well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just ignore my Darlingtonia... I have them in a greenhouse temps never drop below 65 degrees and I water them about every 3-4 days. I do respect their dormancy but I don't fuss over them... and they've been with me for about 2 years now. I've most likely just been really lucky.
    I do agree with Tamlin that Darlingtonia would be a poor subject for terrarium.
    Sturgeon's Law:
    "Nothing is always absolutely so".

http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102021

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Firerock, in my experiance Darlingtonia doesnt mind sitting in warm, none moving water, atleast mine doesnt. Darlingtonia is a PITA plant. it either grows well for you or you kill it. i rarly hear of it just barly surviving for ppl. on the upside there are lots of TC plants out there so experiment. if you baby it and it regularily dies on you think out side the box and forget all you have read on the species and sit a couple in pure peat in a tray of room temp., warm water. you may be presently surprised by the results. i was. another thing to do is to skip the mass produced Lowes and HD plants and get a division from another hobby grower. their plant is likely to be a bit tougher.

mine sits in pure peat which sits in warm stagnat water(normal tray method) alongside Sarrs and some Drosera in a large, south facing window and its doing wonderfully for me. going by all that i have read my plant should have keeled over a year ago but its thriving. i didnt throw it into dormancy this last winter but it will be going into it this coming winter.
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Darlingtonia seedlings live in stagnant water, but this is their first season so I don't think they're big enough to mind. I use peat and perlite for my mix, with some lava rock and milled peat to lighten it up.
    I was hoping to grow some of my seedlings in an outdoor fountain when they're big enough to hold their ground in running water - has anybody tried this? Since they grow near moving water natually I'd think they would be a good candidate.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12