Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Darlingtonia not doing well

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a Darlingtonia that is in one of my terrariums. The temps are approx. 75 - 80 with a relative humidity of about 80% - 85%. There is lots of light over the terrarium. When I first brought this out of dormancy this year it started growing nicely right away. It got a beautiful nice large pitcher. I had it in a small indoor greenhouse at that time. Since I moved it to my terrarium the first pitcher has started to turn brown already and the new growth gets brown at the head before the pitcher ever fully develops. New growth keeps showing up but not in good shape. The 5" pot is sitting in about 1" of water right now. Is the temperature maybe a bit too high for Daringtonia's? Any help here would be great.

Cheers
    I consider every plant hardy until I kill it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Way too warm I would say, and probably nowhere near enough light. This is a difficult species and I think a poor subject for terrarium culture. I would try moving it into cooler conditions and outside. If you go this route, you must be careful to adjust the plant slowly to outdoor conditions. It takes some attention and fussing to keep it from sunburning but I think this would bring you better results.
    "Grow More, Share More"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I will return it back to the indoor greenhouse then as soon as I have installed my new lighting. Putting it outside is not really an option here as it is waytoo cold right now. What kind of himidity requirements does this plant really have? Can I put it on a windowsill at all? We have pretty low humidity here most of the time.

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I grow my Darlingtonia as windowsill plants in a south facing window. Going on there second year this way.
    Last year I tried one outside and one inside. As the temps rose in summer the outside plant died. I was even watering it with refridgerated water.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmm, maybe I should give it a shot on my windowsill then. I will do that tonight. Thanks.

apple rings.. what more can i say? FlytrapGurl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Me and Darlingtonia never got along. Way too hot here in the summer and I could never get outside enough (every 30 seconds) to give it more refridgerated distilled water to cool the roots. So needy... we had to break the relationship off.
    Liquid Plummer
    Warning: Do not reuse the bottle to store beverages.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darlingtonia seem to be more of outdoor plant, rather than indoor. Pyro once told me that if your plant is established outdoors, then high temps shouldn't be an issue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation

Hi,
    It's a mountian plant,not a bog plant.It does grow in bogs but not the kind of bogs of the warm south.It grows along mountian streems and ditches where cool water passes thru the roots.Does not like to be sitting in warm water.Grow outside is best, shade the pots.I have seen this plant in the wild growing in red clay.Straight spagnum moss or 50% peat moss 50% perlite. Stay away of the ice cube thing use cool water no exceeding 50 degrees,pour once and a while thru the pot thats the key and good air movment. Keep out of midday sun 50% shadding if possable Hope this helps.
    GROWLIST If you can read this thank a TEACHER , If you can read this in ENGLISH thank a VETERAN.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast