What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The oreo bowl

Go FTG! Flies, dang flies, and statistical flies! Watch em drop, and add em up. Yipee!

The Flava Five Hundred opens this Monday. Sign up the plants in the competition: S. flava var. rugellii Covington County, Ala.
S. flava var. atropurpurea Walton County, Fla.
S. flava var. rubricorpora Liberty County, Fla.
Beat that, Junior (Ozzy). We are gonna kick some behind in this fly catching racing series!!!!!!! WATCH OUT!!!!

Aw man, open it the week I'm going out of town. Figures! :/
~Joe

My entry is a plain ol' flava from the town of Ash in Brunswick Co. NC. He's one mean tough back woods county boy. Trust me he won't play fair either. Like I said before this guy is planted 1000 ft from Lake Erie. Every year there are swarms of lake flies. So many that every thing is covered with them. You can't even see the road because every inch of the road is crawling with them and when you drive down the road you can hear them crunching under the tires.
Bring it on Bugman, this is going to be over as soon as it starts.

Here's pics of what to expect.

mayflies1.jpg

1mayfly0722.l.jpg

OH yeah, you ready to surrender yet Bugman?

S. flava 'Bronze', and S. flava var. maxima. These guys have no location...Are they allowed to enter?

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]He's one mean tough back woods county boy.
I wish there were more people like that.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]So many that every thing is covered with them.
That happened here once with lovebugs a few years back.

When we went up to Goldsboro, North Carolina a couple years ago I got my S. minor at North Carolina Botanical Gardens.. it used to be several plants in one pot, but now it's just one, yes it is.. anyway, the days we spent at my uncle Gary's before we left, I kept the plant out on the front porch, and man, they have alot of houseflies up there, yes they do.. can't even open the door for fear of more getting in, no you can't.. anyway, that plant ate so many flies, they were almost overflowing, and that made the traps rot, yes they did.

EDIT: Did I just say traps? I meant pitchers, pitchers, I meant PITCHERS.

I already have a head start.... My flava has flies in every pitcher, yes they do...the first one is about to fall over from the weight of all the dead fly carcasses in there
cool.gif

Nope, Ron. Doesn't count! You cannot use the flies already there. You have to observe your plant all day long, and see them go down. Just 'cause yer plant will be covered. don't mean you'll win, Junior! We bees gonna kick yer little round rear!!!!!!! Heck with yer stupid flies!!!!

So is it most catches per plant or per pitcher? I don't think I'd stand a chance for total catches against these established behemoths in 12" pots, but there's no shortage of bugs here... a bigger concern for me would be having room left in the pitchers come Monday.
~Joe

90cm flava giant red tube, Sandy Creek Road just opened up and ready to do the business!

I shallenter my veined flava. It's all revved up and ready to go! See you there!!!
smile_n_32.gif

Allthough my flava will be facing some stiff competition right here at home due to all the other CP's around it...most of my VFT traps are closed up cause they're full of bugs and spiders. And then there are the 'dews, the other sarrs, etc....

Well, it's almost 12am. At 12 the nets will come off my Ash boys. They got 6 pitchers, the bidgest one is 3ft tall. With all the lake flies that were swarming today, this is going to be a piece of cake.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 29 2005,6:18)]Per plant, Seedy One!
Aw, I don't stand a chance. So much for having an excuse to not do my finals.
~Joe

Back