Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S. alata 'areolata'

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, but from Schnell's description I think you have to look very closely to see any tiny stretching of the tissue.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    s. alata "areolata" is just a descriptive name, Tre. It is more commonly referred to as the Areolated form. There are plants in several bogs that have the areolation, the hardest to get from Beauregard Parish, Louisiana. The areolated form I have is the Jasper County form, and it has been veinless, with yellow-gold upper pitchers. Very different looking, and No, I don't have a pic.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

United Kingdom (Bristol, England) I am orriginnally from Mostar, Bosnia(one of the countries of former yugoslavia)
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tre, I wouldnt try to argue with Bugweed when it comes to Sarrs, he is one of the Sarr kings around here afterall [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]
    Carnivorous plants growlist:http://www.**********.com/cgi-bin....t=17597
    Onda je sultan pao mrtav do kostura

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well then let me describe mine so we can debate whether it is a true Areolated form or not.
    Last year: 12-15 inch pitchers on average with the typical spade shaped S. alata hood and pithers jsut like alata except for tiny areoles around te lid of the pitcher.
    This year: so far 12 inch pitchers that are intensly areolated like leucophylla except with no signs of leuco influence. It sent up a yellow flower that was a perfect match to flower color of normal alatas. I will tell you more when I get more pitchers but for now thats it.
    But I guess from Meadowviews description in open places more areols will be present and the plant must originally been growing in a shaded place befre I got it. Oh yeah the pitchers are obviously shorter then other alatas. And the flower was smaller.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there is a specific areolate form of alata, or a specific location. If you can see areoles then you have some sort of areolate form. There is no official classification of alata, as with flava, and the species is very variable.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes that is veyr unfortunate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is no specific location, and no specific form of S. alata "areolated form". They are in bogs all over the place, but the best representatives are in the bogs I mentioned. But no, they are not limited to these locations. However, the areoles in these forms are barely discernable. They can be seen, but not like what you describe. You have to have an s. alata X s. leucophylla cross, known as s.X areolata. They can show the influence of either parent, right down to the flower, which can be yellow, or red, or even orange, and a lot of shades in between. I have no doubt you have the s. X areolata, and nothing else. Even your flower color wouldn't be much help. If the areoles are prominent, and can be easily seen, then you have s. X areolata.

45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast