What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. alata 'areolata'

How many areoles is S. alata 'areolata' supposed to have? Mine seems to have the hood looking like S. leucophylla but it is obviously S. alata (and the flower also S. alata).

The hybrid S.x areolata? This cross can have virtually any coloration all the way from red veins with no white, to virtually all white. I have a version which is very white, alata shaped but with a frilly margin to the hoods and yellow flowers. Another cross I have looks like a veined alata but with a ruffled leuco style hood. Genetics can be strange!

No the cultivar S. alata 'areolata' which is the form of alata from the western range that has areoles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Treaqum @ May 09 2005,3:08)]No the cultivar S. alata 'areolata' which is the form of alata from the western range that has areoles.
I can find no registered cultivar by that name. I doubt that the name "areolata" would be acceptable as a cultivar name because it has already been used. The ICPS Database shows:
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]N: [Sarracenia areolata {Macf.}]
P: Bail., Std.Cycl.Hort.6:3081 (1917)
LT: Theodore, Mobile Co., Ala., US, 1909, Macfarlane s.n. (CNC) {Bell}
LTP: J.E.Mitch.Sci.Soc.68:70 (1952)
S: =[[Sarracenia leucophylla {Raf.}] * [Sarracenia alata {(Wood) Wood}]]
L: US (Ala., Miss.)
LFR: 30: Atlantic and Gulf Coastal Plain

hmm. Well it is the S. alata (type) mentioned in D.E. Schnell's 2nd edition on P. 192 and 195. From Angelica County Texas.

That would be s. alata "areolated form". Easier to see in Jasper County, Texas. There is an entire stand of them, and they are very cool looking s. alata. They have a very fat bulge in the upper pitcher.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]S. alata “areolata” – within the Texas and Louisiana populations of S. alata rare individuals possess faint windows similar to those found in S. alabamensis. Although the windows are not the same as in S. leucophylla they may reflect an evolutionary trend within the genus Sarracenia to develop light patches for insect captures. Read more about this in our article “What is the identity of the West Gulf Coast Pitcher Plant, Sarracenia alata Wood?” Plants are available starting June 2003.
Hybridization often occurs between S. alata, S. psittacina and S.Ieucophylla in Alabama and Mississippi where the pitcher plant species ranges overlap. One of the results of this overlap in range is introgressed S. alata with areoles. Whether any of these areolate plants are pure genetic forms and not introgressed hybrids must await further analysis. Introgression, however, appears unlikely to be a factor in the presence of areoles in the Texas and western Louisiana range of S.alata since McDaniel (1966) noted that particular components found in introgressed S.alata were not found in areas where hybridization is improbable. Hybridization between S.alata and any other sarracenia is highly improbable in Texas and western Louisiana since no other pitcher plant now naturally grows in these areas. Thus it appears the presence of areoles in Texas and western Louisiana plants is an inherent feature of the species and not the result of recent introgression with areolate species of sarracenia. Ancient introgression between S.alata and areolate sarracenia cannot be eliminated as a factor in present-day S. alata without chemical, paleobotanical and phytogeographic evidence.

It should be emphasized that the occurrence of areoles in plants of Texas and western Louisiana S. alata stations is a feature which may be enhanced by environmental conditions. Burning of a S.alata bog in Beauregard Parish in 1989 demonstrated this point. A site for S.alata in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana was visited in both June of 1988 and 1989. Although areolate pitchers were sought in 1988, none were seen. Many pitchers were damaged by an Exyra larvae infestation which could have obscured the presence of windows. Areoles were observed in great numbers of plants in June 1989 several months after a fire. Apparently the improved growing conditions provided by fire and suppression of Exyra larvae aided the production of areoles. It should be noted that this bog in Beauregard Parish, Louisiana possess a large, naturally open area. This area in June of 1988 was not noted to contain any obvious areolate plants but did contain them in 1989. The effect of fire, even on an open area, may have been enough to produce areoles. Conceivably the suppression of Exyra larvae by fire played a role in reducing insect damage to pitchers and enhancing areole production.

Pipeline hillside seepage bogs in Jasper County, Texas also illustrate environmental conditions enhancing areole production. Areoles were observed in a Jasper County, Texas pipeline hillside seepage bog in both 1988 and 1989. The site is maintained in a very open condition by annual mowing of the pipeline right-of-way. These annual mowing provide open habitat and allow dense stands of S. alata to develop. Fire would naturally maintain the hillside seepage bog in an open condition, but in this instance the pipeline has substituted as a disturbance factor. Mechanical clearing by bushhogs simulates the effect of fire by inhibiting the growth of woody plants. The suppression of woody plants allows herbaceous types to flourish. Thus, disturbance of hillside seepage bogs may enhance areole production in S. alata by providing open growing conditions.
Directly from meadowview's site.

Yes, yes. Now back to the original question: does anyone have any photos?

No, but from Schnell's description I think you have to look very closely to see any tiny stretching of the tissue.

s. alata "areolata" is just a descriptive name, Tre. It is more commonly referred to as the Areolated form. There are plants in several bogs that have the areolation, the hardest to get from Beauregard Parish, Louisiana. The areolated form I have is the Jasper County form, and it has been veinless, with yellow-gold upper pitchers. Very different looking, and No, I don't have a pic.

Tre, I wouldnt try to argue with Bugweed when it comes to Sarrs, he is one of the Sarr kings around here afterall
biggrin.gif

Well then let me describe mine so we can debate whether it is a true Areolated form or not.
Last year: 12-15 inch pitchers on average with the typical spade shaped S. alata hood and pithers jsut like alata except for tiny areoles around te lid of the pitcher.
This year: so far 12 inch pitchers that are intensly areolated like leucophylla except with no signs of leuco influence. It sent up a yellow flower that was a perfect match to flower color of normal alatas. I will tell you more when I get more pitchers but for now thats it.
But I guess from Meadowviews description in open places more areols will be present and the plant must originally been growing in a shaded place befre I got it. Oh yeah the pitchers are obviously shorter then other alatas. And the flower was smaller.

I don't think there is a specific areolate form of alata, or a specific location. If you can see areoles then you have some sort of areolate form. There is no official classification of alata, as with flava, and the species is very variable.

Yes that is veyr unfortunate

There is no specific location, and no specific form of S. alata "areolated form". They are in bogs all over the place, but the best representatives are in the bogs I mentioned. But no, they are not limited to these locations. However, the areoles in these forms are barely discernable. They can be seen, but not like what you describe. You have to have an s. alata X s. leucophylla cross, known as s.X areolata. They can show the influence of either parent, right down to the flower, which can be yellow, or red, or even orange, and a lot of shades in between. I have no doubt you have the s. X areolata, and nothing else. Even your flower color wouldn't be much help. If the areoles are prominent, and can be easily seen, then you have s. X areolata.

I brought a Sarracenia from my local nursery a long time ago and i finally got an id that it was an alata . I transplanted almost all my sarracenias and i had to transplant my alata to a bigger pot . Because the new pot it was in was so big i could'nt place it on my grow table so i had to put it on the ground . Doing this made me notice that the top of the alatas had areoles , somewhat like leucophylla and i thought i had the cross between alata and leucophylla too but the flweors were yellow with not a single faint of orange . So it's possible that i might have a form of this plant . I'll try to get pics as soon as i get my computer at home fixed !

I bet it doesn't have as many areoles as my S.x areolata
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Areolata.jpg

This has yellow flowers as well, bizarrely.

Beautiful s. X areolata, Alvin! Some of mine are colorless, but the favorites have the s. leucophylla color influence. Like to post a few pics of my own, but am clueless how to do it.

Thanks. That was taken at Mike King's in October, but I got a division of it in March. It's just about to flower.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ] Like to post a few pics of my own, but am clueless how to do it.
If you have a digi cam, email me the photos and I'll host them for you if you want.

Back