What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Leaf pullings

What issue of the CP newsletter was that article about Sarracenia leaf pullings?

Who was the author?

I recall he had success with decumbent plants (S. psittacina, S. purpurea), but less so with upright plants.

When Mike and I were digging plants at the Covington LA site, we noticed a few examples of small S. alata leaves that had been torn from the rhizome and developed roots.

I suspect young upright sarracenia leaves can root, or maybe also mature leaves, if they've been cut down.

Vol 33 no. 4 December 2004
Author: Barry Rice
It seems as though he had the most success with S. purpurea ans psittacina. It also seems he had some luck with rubra subsp. wherryi

[b said:
Quote[/b] (kahnli @ May 13 2005,11:56)]Vol 33 no. 4   December 2004
Author: Barry Rice
It seems as though he had the most success with S. purpurea ans psittacina. It also seems he had some luck with rubra subsp. wherryi
Yes, I remember that he had luck mostly with the decumbent species.

I have a suspicion that if took a leaf pulling from an upright species, and cut off the top 2/3 or so of the pitcher, the remaining leaf would have fewer nutrient requirements and may be more likely to root.

I haven't yet run the experiment, though, but evidence from the field would indicate this may be the case.

I took a Sarracenia rubra leaf pulling a couple months ago after cutting 2/3 of the cutting off and it forming roots and the cutting has not even begun showing signs of browning. I think it will be successful
smile.gif

Back