Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia seeds

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 22 2005,7:07)]Sheer white pantyhose does the trick?
    I guess I better explain. I sowed seeds in a six inch azaelea (sp!) pot. I didn't fill it to the top--left about 2". The cover of sheer white hose (or a similar substance) allows light in, but prevents heavy rain, birds etc from messing with the seeds/seedlings as I have these outside. I held the hose in place by using two of the longest black plastic cable ties connected in series and placed around the outside of the pot. they secure very tightly and will not come off.

In the fall, I'll bring them in and continue to grow under lights only for the first season. This is my first time with this, so I hope it works.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Joe, that is one informative link! Thanks! Looks like I will have to do things over.

Just wanted to make sure you had noble uses for the pantyhose! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Does it have to be sheer? What brand? Was it "Just my size"? As it sandalfoot or open toe or whatever they put in those plastic egg things? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Does Joe Namath recommend it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (jimscott @ May 22 2005,10:27)]Joe, that is one informative link! Thanks! Looks like I will have to do things over.

Just wanted to make sure you had noble uses for the pantyhose! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img] Does it have to be sheer? What brand? Was it "Just my size"? As it sandalfoot or open toe or whatever they put in those plastic egg things? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] Does Joe Namath recommend it?
    Jim,
    Too many hose questions!! just make sure it feels right to you, and don't let anyone make you feel ashamed--I don't!

Next year, I'll be using a piece of crop blanket to cover pots. My father gave me a large piece of this to cover my plants if I put them out earlier to protect from frost. This should also give a faster start to seedlings. It will protect down to upper 20s fahrenheit.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    But seriously, back to the seeds, do you think I can just take those pipette containers, moist, and covered and put in that fridge upstairs? How long do you think I should keep them there? The site recommends putting them in a bag, but as long as the cover seals things, do you think it will fly?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I stratified my seeds this year in rubbermaid bins that don't seal at all (the storage kind, not the food kind.) I've had excellent germination rates so I don't think air circulation hurt. The folks I bought my seed from even said that covering wasn't necessary, as long as they were kept moist and sheltered from being washed out from rain. The covers were pretty much just to keep the critters out and the water in. I barely lost any water to evaporation, but a fridge can get dry inside if it frosts up, so if those containers are airtight it would probably help.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's been a bunch of years since my last mass Sarracenia germination but **blasphemy alert** I didn't do any stratification and had decent germination with all Sarr subspecies except S. purpurea (which makes some sense).

I think it was either Tom Hayes or Dave Evans (I think Tom) who did a controlled experiment on Sarr seed stratification. He split groups of seed from the same species and stratified half of them. All were planted at the same time and germination and growth were tracked for both groups.

IIRC, stratification did improve germination (and possibly initial growth rates) but it was not required to get germination for most of the seeds.

Whether or not this would have changed if I had stratified the seed, I do not know - but I did have random germinations over the next year to 18 months in those pots. Most germinated in several weeks but some seeds just took their time....

Good luck w/ your seed - didn't get it from A. Lowrie by any chance?
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gotta love discussion forums! No the seeds came from a private grower. Maybe they just need some more time?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think they need more time JS. I thought I saw a post from Bugweed that said it could take 6-8 weeks. It took that long for mine, and they were S. purpurea, so I guess the stratification was needed. Let us know how they do.

Found it! An exact quote from Bugmeister in a thread here called 'How long will it take to sprout'.

"No. Don't cover them with peat. Just leave them alone and let them do what they do best---sprout! Sarracenia seed can take as long as six to eight weeks to sprout, but can definitely sprout sooner than that."

Edited by Bugweed on Dec. 31 2004,9:16

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast