Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sarracenia seeds

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Last year I was given a packet of S. alata seeds and I was successful in sprouting them within a month.

I have 4 sets of Sarr. seeds that stratified for 3 months and attempted germination, in moist media and covered. It has been several weeks now, and they neither mold nor germinate. Today, I took off the covers and filled with water. Any other ideas?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    put on the covers and stick back in the fridge for 3 weeks. They may need dual stratification. I do it and it has always worked (so far).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    3 months at 40 degrees wasn't long enough for them? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/confused.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well thye should have been 3 weeks first. But give them another couple and see. If no sign put them back in. Some times if the seed is too fresh it will not germinate and needs to be restratified.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you pick up the seeds between two fingers, do they still feel firm and plump?? If so, they should still be good. Good luck!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you say 'several weeks', how many is that. I had concern about S. purpurea seeds that I sowed at the beginning of April. Within the last week, they sprouted like mad. I had them sitting outside, pots standing in water, in full sun. I had the pots covered with sheer white panty hose! Maybe that's the trick! One thing I did before sowing was to put them in a small tupper ware container with a little distilled water, and stuck them in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Prior to that, they were in the fridge dry for the winter.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sheer white pantyhose does the trick? [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img] Anyways, they were in the folded paper envelopes, dry, and in the fridge for 3 months. I would say that I have had them in media for 4 or 5 weeks now. Why the freezer? Should I try that at this point? Should I try putting them outside?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jim,
    From what I gather, dry in the fridge does not count as stratification. See this article at ICPS site.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/see...Sarracenia.htm

If they've been in media indoors for the past 4-5 weeks, you would not have met the cold/wet requirement. But then again, it was only 4-5 weeks and they can take 6-8 weeks to germinate (mine did).
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast