Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. purpurea in california?

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dang. Those are some unnatural residents. Every species in there exept the darlingtonia are intoduced. I mean.... Australian sundews in cali? That's just wrong. Is this place near san diego? I have a good mind to just go and take those plants out of the wild and put them where they belong... in my house [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img] j/k...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree
    LOL, where do you live in S.D.?? There is only one other person who I know here who is also a tf member.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wish I had [good] non-native CPs poping up down here. I would love to get a free collection. Dang alicae is so expensive and I can never bring myself to ttrade for that or N. ventrata.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I wouldn't worry about introduced carnivorous plants for several reasons:
    1. The habitat they require is so specific that the chances of them spreading to new habitats are slim.
    2. They are non-invasive and no threat to other plants.
    3. They are cool

Feel free to disagree.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm free! I disagree. Thanks Brian for allowing me to disagree, even though I am not worried about it. They aren't going anywhere, and like you said, they are non-invasive. We have a lot of things going on around Ft. Bragg, California too. There is a bog there with all kinds of out of stater plants living there. South Africa, Australia, and other places have all been introduced there.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (lol @ May 26 2005,4:23)]Dang. Those are some unnatural residents. Every species in there exept the darlingtonia are intoduced.
    I suspect that the Darlingtonia are also introduced to this specific location. Probably the only native growing there was D. rotundifolia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] ]Greetings,

I wouldn't worry about introduced carnivorous plants for several reasons:
    1. The habitat they require is so specific that the chances of them spreading to new habitats are slim.
    2. They are non-invasive and no threat to other plants.
    3. They are cool

Feel free to disagree.

Brian
    I will also disagree!
    (except with #3!) [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif[/img]

There was a debate over on the CPUK forum awhile back that S. purpurea ARE considered invasive in some bogs in the UK they were introduced into..
    at first, I didnt believe it either, but apparently the plants have been there 40 years now and are doing so well that they are covering the bog, choking out native bog species..
    thats invasive.

We dont know what harm an introduced species might do in 100 or 100,000 years..
    we (humans) could disappear at any time, and all those non-native species will be left behind..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ May 27 2005,1:55)]we (humans) could disappear at any time, and all those non-native species will be left behind..
    Scottychaos makes an excellent point about running interference with native species with these introductions. Many species have adapted over time to survive in their habitat, and barely can compete against existing species in this niche environment, yet alone competition from a potentially invasive species.

I left SC's comment about our disappearance and native species left behind for a reason. Once we are gone, I don't think it will really matter what happens to species left behind--we won't be around to care about it anymore. But think about this. Our constant tampering with the environment could be the reason for our ultimate demise. No, I'm not saying those D. capensis in that bog will get us in the end. Although many of us may feel that way when weeding them out of our collections. What I'm saying is, that for each potentially far reaching action by one individual, when there are billions of us on this planet, this human meddling can have a cumulative and potentially catastrophic effect.

Have a nice day! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast