Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: S. purpurea in california?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Big fuzzy? no I'm thinking little and green. Seedjar you don't happen to know what a Tai-Tai is do you? (I'm not sure if that is the most accepted name). It is an invasive shrub from Asia that grows in Boggy areas expecailly area on the Panhandle O'Florida. And loves S. leuco sites. The leucos either die from light deprivation or die down to rhizomes for years until a large fire comes through and burns most of the Tai-Tai out. I was told this by the Manager of the Bog on the west side of Pensacola. Shoot what's that State park called?

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Heh, well, big and fuzzy isn't the end-all of descriptors for sympathetic life-forms, just a good indicator. Generally speaking, we concern ourselves with preserving things that are big, noticable and pleasing to the eye. Everybody wants to save the wolves and the pandas and the pretty flowers, but conservation efforts for salamanders don't often try the, "it's so loveable!" approach to gain public attention. When bugs start going extinct, you don't see special-interest news reports with teary-eyed environmentalists stroking a roach and saying, "this is such a majestic, beautiful creature - it's a tragedy that it may soon be extinct in the wild."
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The day the news coverers enviromentalists stroking a roach saying "this is such a majestic, beautiful creature-it's a tragedy tat it may soon be extinct in the wild" is the day I reverse my ideas on the enviroment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's also the day I know humanity is screwed and has no hope left.

BANNED
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in mission valley.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar,

I get your point and didn't mean to put you on the defensive. You are correct the islands have never been linked to land masses, and the oldest island Kauai is only about 5.5 million years old. Also the Hawaiian archipelago started about 65 million years ago. As for the sundews on Kauai I simply meant to state they aren't invasive and two they have been on Kauai long enough to make some adaptations. Besides the one truely invasive species around the world would be Homo sapiens.

Ua mau ke ea o ka aina i ka pono
    \"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired, signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed.\" Dwight D. Eisenhower

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]I live in mission valley.
    I live about 2 miles from you, on the other side of the 8/805 merge.
    Hi. My name is Ron, and I am a nepaholic.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I presume this is the Menicino(sp?) bog and I beleive it was the 70s, though I could be mistaken. I think some of the early members of the ICPS did this bog as an experiment. The only native species was D. rotundifolia.
    There was an article in the 80s in CPN where D'Amato and Leo Song and Joe Mazrimas revisited the cite 10 years later. Dionaea and Heliamphora had a pretty poor showing(more disappointing for them on the former), and the Nepenthes were no where to be seen, but others(as the photos showed) seem to do well.

Cheers,

Joe

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast