Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Floppy pitchers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I apologise if this subject has been addressed previously..but I could find no mention of it, or I'm going blind, which is possible.

I received an un-named pitcher plant as a gift from someone who got out of the business.

It is flowering, and sending up new pitchers, so in that respect it seems like a normal plant. My judgement on this plant is that it needs re-potting, which I will do in the next couple of days. The problem is...even the new, un-opened pitchers flop over..they don't seem to be able to stand up to anything but the mildest breeze. The pitchers flop, then they start browning from the top down. The new pitchers on the other pitcher plants I have stand up to wind just fine.

What can I do to solve this problem? I have been staking them thus far..but I'd prefer to figure out what the problem is here, and fix it.

Also...I have read with interest the idea of giving pitchers diluted 2% milk or bits of egg white for a protein boost. What dilution rate for the milk? Thanking you all in advance! AprilH
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm... I'm still pretty new, and I've never had a plant with pitchers that flopped before opening. But, everyone seems to have good things to say about repotting Sarracenia, so that probably couldn't hurt. What immediately comes to mind for me is light - has this plant been deprived of adaquate sunlight? My first pitcher plant came to me looking more like a trailing plant because the nursery had left it in a dark corner where it had become etoliated and too lanky to support itself. I got it as it was going into dormancy, so I just clipped those leaves off and have had it in a nice, bright spot all winter, and it's made a full recovery.
    As for the milk, I don't remember exactly, but there's a post - I think it's in the Neps forum - on feeding that mentions this and probably has more relevant links. I think that one part milk to three parts water is good, but I also seem to remember people just saying to put a few drops in each pitcher, so I don't know if that's a few drops of the dilution or what... In any case, it shouldn't be hard to find, and a lot of people who tried it reported success.
    Best luck,
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, Joe. This plant was in a greenhouse previous to my getting it. Full sun, southern exposure. It's getting a full sun southern exposure now.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm, strange. Perhaps one of the vets will have a better answer. As for the feeding thread, it's here. There may be other threads that discuss milk - you should try using the forum search feature on the top-right corner of the page.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you mean as if there is no cell wall?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JustLike, yeah, kinda, I guess? there was one mature pitcher on this plant when I got it, and it was very floppy. the pitchers look like leggy plants that have had not enough light, or been over fertilised, though I know this one had tons of light, and no fertiliser. The cell wall thing makes sense. I'm thinking re-potting might help, as it looks very crowed in it's 6 inch pot. I'll continue to stake the pitchers, if only to send pictures of it so someone may be able to identify it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The rhizome may be buried too deeply. I've seen that happen once before, and I think it was because the rhizome was buried too deeply.

Bare-root the rhizome. Repot it in pure, long-fiber sphagnum, and make sure the growth points are protruding above the surface.
    My Grow List

"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." -- Stephen Hawking

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a couple of possibilities:
    the plant has a root rot of some sort. i'd inspect the rhizome and make sure it appears healthy.

another possibility: it could be a hybrid with purp or psitt, making the pitchers lanky. although that wouldn't explain the browning.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast