Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heliamphora dying

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On rereading your post, a new thought that comes to mind is perhaps the salty air is responsible for the gradual demise of your H. heterodoxa x minor.

I know people who live on the coastline and several have informed me that their choice of outdoor plants is limited by the salty air, which has a very negative effect on plants not evolutionarily acclimated to such conditions. This finding is also often mentioned in the outdoor gardening literature.

Salty air came to mind because a) you mentioned that you live in Honolulu, b) keep the plants outdoors, and c) they have gradually declined in health.

Though the chance of this is slim and the fact that your other Heli is doing well makes salty air an even less likely culprit, I thought I'd mention it anyway in passing.
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats a good point. I would think though his other plants would also decline unless they are more salt tolerant (or maybe because they are in bigger pots)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that salty air is an unlikely culprit (because his other plants are doing fine) and mentioned this in my reply. I thought I'd mention it anyway because who knows?--stranger things have happened!

Best regards. --Chloroplast
    Secretary, New England Carnivorous Plant Society (NECPS) http://www.necps.org/
    Member, International Carnivorous Plant Society (ICPS)
    Member, North American Sarracenia Conservancy (NASC)
    Member, The Carnivorous Plant Society (CPS)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all:
    I do think that temperature drops are needed by Heliamphoras to do well. that and humidity.
    If the temperature drops down to 60 F, it'd be ideal. 70's are not good enough.

Gus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks to everyone who posted for your insights, observations, and suggestions. You have confirmed my suspicion that my heli is not getting enough of a drop in night temperature.

Here are some responses to comments and questions that some people posed. Treaqum, the plants are growing in LFS. Steve L, I'm using tap water, which, fortunately, is so low in minerals that it can be used to grow CPs like Nepenthes, Sarracenia, and Drosera. Chloroplast, youíre right that salty air can be a problem for those who live near the ocean, but Iím a couple of miles inland.

Again, thanks to all for your posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12