What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flava 500

Gentlemen PREPARE YOUR FLAVA'S!!!!!!!!!!! The race for the most flies in a day starts Monday Morning as soon as your awake. Sign up your entry in the OREO BOWL thread.

Dang I'll be in the Keys.

The Florida Keys that is.

my rubricorpa liberty co. are still little, but there is about 3 pitchers coming up on each plant

Well I'm gonna enter my veined flava. See you there!

Well, I guess my Ash boys are in the lead right now. I took off thier net at 12:01 am. They're starting off slow, but it looks like they are still in the lead. As soon as the sun comes up and the bugs start flying, there will be no catching them.

S. flava maxima men are coming up right on the tail of your Ash boys, Ozzy.  At 9am flies are buzzing and falling into them.  How many?  Who knows?  My kids want to go to the pool today, but I have to stay here and count flies.  They'll understand!

The flava 'bronze' are looking pretty with their colorful hoods and growling veins, but they're still revving the engines.  Go boys!  
biggrin.gif

Oh well I don't care enough to get bitten by 'Sketers' so I will not check. I leave this up to you boys.

OK! Covington County is making a strong showing so far. With 18 to its credit in half an hour. The rubes from Liberty County are just coming into sunlight, and the flies are gathering around to die. RED TUBES RULE!!!!!!! Walton County Ornatas, atro's and rugelii, are just covered with Bluebottle flies. Junior, prepare to meet defeat!!!!!! Full tally so far is 57 flies! Less than 450 to go!!!!! (Where's the cheering section??)

I'll cheer you Bug! Wow--you sure gotta a lot of flies--do you have enough players to take em, though?
smile_m_32.gif

You bet! And the spectators who watch are avid fly eaters too. BUT, only the flava are racing today. The other fans/spectators will get their day in the sun too, but today is Flava Day!! WOW!!!! The rubes surge and do 14 more!!!! WHERE"S THE CHEERING SECTION?????????????????????

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 30 2005,9:43)]WOW!!!! The rubes surge and do 14 more!!!! WHERE"S THE CHEERING SECTION?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
confused.gif
?
Maxima man and bronze boy have only 11 so far--way behind in this race--not many flies here! Yeah where is the cheering section, and where's Ozzy? Sweeping the bugs off the car, into the pitcher mouths?

Too bad my flava (which was JBL's originally) joined a different race - swimming downstream without a paddle.
smile_h_32.gif

Hey Bugweed, can you give us an idea of the size of the engine on those fly munchin, speed demons? Pitcher length, mouth width--take a look under the hoods and give us some specs, man!!
smile.gif

Hood 7" across. Pitcher mouth 3 7/8" across. 29" height. Capacity 1500 flies (lol), home, Covington County, Alabama. Appetite: severe, business card: have mouth, will eat!!
so far, 175 flies 7:48 a.m. PST

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ May 30 2005,10:49)]Hood 7" across. Pitcher mouth 3 7/8" across. 29" height. Capacity 1500 flies (lol), home, Covington County, Alabama. Appetite: severe, business card: have mouth, will eat!!
                   so far,        175 flies 7:48 a.m. PST
What?? 7" hood and 4" mouth? That's one muscle flava! I got a little guy that I thought was big--4 1/2 " hood and 2 1/2" mouth--can't compete with the big boys I guess. I'm going swimming with my kids--maybe I can beat them in the pool--NOT!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

I'm here, and I hate to tell you guys but this race is almost over. Here's a pic I took this morning just before daylight.
light.jpg

It's like mass confusion of the bug world. The Ash boys look just like the car does in this pic.
1mayfly0722.l.jpg

I can't even see the pitchers, all I see are swarming flies around them. The fly count is now up to 375. My boys can just coast to the finish like from here.

Wait in the time I typed this they have captured even more. The new count is 407.

smile_n_32.gif

You guys better hurry up, I almost have this race in the bag. Look at this radar pic.

pix1_001.jpg

That's not rain, that's a swarm of more flies getting ready to come onshore and be eaten by the Ash boys. I thought there was going to be some competition, I only need 25 more flies to win this thing, where's everybody at?

Kirk, you need to make sure to keep the lapped plants out of the Lead lap plants way.

Back