User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: This is probably a real stupid question.

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In all seriousness, Nearly everybody starts out with a VFT and/or some other garden center CP that is in some state of neglect or abuse from lack of light, tap water, dried out, no air circulation. So an interested customer takes one home and puts it in a different environment, thus continuing or causing a shocked situation. If that individual decides to go online in search of information, and happens to stumble upon a discussion forum like this one, that brings anothers set of variables: The CP jargon and acronyms, the confusing and conflicting approaches to water, soil media, location, etc..., and the frivolous General Discussion topics someone keeps initiating. Okay, that last variable was an aside. Then they discover the CP Trading Post and get involved with that. That adds to the learning curve for some, who have very little knowledge, but want to accumulate a lot of plants. So they get a few "gourmet" CP"s that have more considerations than a typical VFT or D. spatulata. After that, the person gets discouraged because they are in over their head and is killing the plants almost as fast as they buy and/or accumulate them. Then they are faced with a choice: Is it worth trying to cultivate these plants or should they just cut their losses and go back to Holland bulbs or orchids or cactus....

It's similar to maintaining an interpersonal relationship with another human being! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_k_ani_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, unfortunately...excepting the ones I bought at Lowe's (the Judith Hindle is still hangin' in there)...I have been given a bunch more by generous people here! I went from zero to about 20 in 8 weeks time. I'm not complaining at all..it's very, very fun learning about these plants, and caring for them. I'm just scared to death I'll kill them! I've been having good luck with Sarrs, except for sunburning a few, which, I gather, they survive. So far, everything I have is sending up new pitchers, which I'm interpreting as a sign of good health.

Ok...time for a cookout at Laura's. I'll throw a shrimp on the barbie and have a cocktail for y'all!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 30 2005,3:37)]Ok...time for a cookout at Laura's. I'll throw a shrimp on the barbie and have a cocktail for y'all!
    Hi April. I've got some ribs slow cooking for you! I find the Sarracenia to be most forgiving IMO as long as you keep them wet and sunny while growing, and just damp and cold in winter. I love them, and they seem to love me.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love ribs! Thanks, JBL! I love the Sarrs, too! Spledid plants...and I wonder what commitee designed them, LOL! Aprilh
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 30 2005,9:57)]I love ribs! Thanks, JBL!
    Anytime. I did them with a dry rub of secret seasonings. Well, OK, I cheated with a couple of store brands mixed with a tiny amount of ground clove, allspice and chili peppers--enough to prop those floppy pitchers of yours! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here in the midwest...we use barbecue sauce..but I'm familiar with dry rubs. I love them any which way. I don't make ribs that often because Dan doesn't care for them...but when we go out for dinner..I get the ribs~ There are SOOO many good places for ribs in Chicago. Harold's Chicken Shack! Smoke Daddy!

I transplanted the floppy pitcher pitcher plant...Hopefully, that will restore them to their proper tumescence! If that won't...the habanero dry rub will!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote[/b] (aprilh @ May 30 2005,10:05)]I transplanted the floppy pitcher pitcher plant...Hopefully, that will restore them to their proper tumescence! If that won't...the habanero dry rub will!
    Tumescence!! LMAO! I'm sorry--floppy pitcher is another thread, right? Oh well, filling them with water reminds me of the other thread, and the 'subtle' reference that the kids won't get. I showed it to my just turned 12 yo who apparently 'got it', and pulled up a site with a photo, and a caption reading 'don't mix pill, brand X with beer'! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Being new to CPs myself (my oldest I've had for 5 months or so) I sympathize. My partial solution to the learning curve has been to read The Savage Garden over and over and over again.

As for the Sarracenias and water in their pitchers, The Savage Garden says this on page 74:
    "Insects that encounter the purple pitcher plant, S. Purpurea, drown in collected rainwater, where they slowly decompose by bacterial action and weak enzymes. All of the other species trap their prey in tubular leaves, near the bottom of which digestive acids and enzymes are produced and secreted more heavily as more insects are caught."
    Slave to vegetable hunger.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast