Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red-tube sar

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is there currently a world shortage of the red-tube form of Sar. alata? I've been looking for one of these for ages and I haven't seen any for sale ...ever!
    Any thoughts?
    Matt

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They are hard to come by. Red tubes of any species. You are sure you mean alata right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, Tre, I think the man knows what he is looking for. Red form s. alata is not that impossible to find. However, most reds I have ever seen were in private collections, and not from any CP site I can think of. I can try to get you a red tube form by next spring, but no sooner, unfortunately. And, you will pay. Not a lot if I can find it, but enough.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was just curious to know. I mean in my personal experience new joiners are usually newbes (Obviously probibly not this one) and most don't have the latin names down with the plants yet. I am sure you can find them. And if anyone would be able to find one it would be bugweed

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So how much are we talking? And why do they seem to be so rare in cultivation? - I meen they are certainly striking. Is it that they don't hold their color in cultivation?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    matopis, where in Oregon are you? If you have not done so already, a visit with Dean Cook in Eugene might be instructive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Dark tube form of alata is not rare in cultivation. It is simply not as widely available as the typical alata forms. Phil Sheridan has a beautiful dark alata that he calls "Purple helmet" (keep it clean everyone) these sell for about $30. Check out the Meadowview Biological Station web site for details.

The darker forms of alata are typically more common in the eastern zone of alata habitat. I have no problem maintaining the dark color when these plants are grown in full sun.

One last note: This is one of the alata forms that I have to label carefully, if I lost the labels to my Sarracenia collection, I would have a very hard time distinguishing this alata form from some of the rubra forms until they flowered...

Steve
    Steve L
    "I'm Lucky enough to get paid to do this!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes Steve I fell for that one once already. Keep it clean, those Brits have some words [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast