What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Chelsea gold medal winning display!

There was a request to see a photo of the Gold Medal winning exhibit at Chelsea by Hampshire CPs. Enjoy!

HampshireChelsea.JPG

I hate to say this but borneo exotics was way better. The flavas and the Heliamphora are good but all the other stuff is fairly garden variety. Maybe I like the other because it was stuffed with plants.

Bah... I was expecting it to be a lot cooler. It looks too "this species goes here, this species goes here" for me... way too artificial. I'm not even 1/3rd as impressed with it as the Borneo one.

Sure, but it still looks great!

Capslock

Very nice. From my perspective, this is a sharp looking display, and nice in that it is not representative of just one genus. But after backtracking to the thread with the Borneo pics, I would not want to call this one! I'm a Sarracenia guy, but I know which display the Nep lovers will favor. Thanks for the pics, Brooks!

I'm an everything guy and go at what I want when it strikes me and this one definatly need quite a few more plants packed in. JBL have you ever been to ABG if so you will know what I mean when I say the Sarrs are way to sinplified. ABG has some sarr var. and hybrids that would knock the socks off all but those two S.flava 'red tube' (sorry 'bout that I can't yet spell the var.)

I'm sure you're right about ABG, Tre. But I've never been there. That was just my opinion of the display as a nice multiple genus one, but hey I already said that! I guess my opinions are like everlasting gobstoppers:

WONKA: Everybody has had one, and one is enough for anybody.

smile_m_32.gif

JBL if you are ever in Atlanta make sure you go there. Sadly ABG has a bigger display in the Kids garden then most other BGs I have been too. ACtually it is a bit larger then mine also (I think, I'll have to check again next time I am there).

One of the things you guys have to remember is that this was a very temporary display. I think it looks real good. When I look at this picture I can imagine the time that went into placing plants, packing moss around everything so no pots are showing, Making sure flowers, leaves and pitchers are all facing the right way and look natural, making labels, etc, etc.

Sure you can go see some permanent collections at places like ABG that will blow your shorts off, but those are permanent collections!

I think this was a pretty darn good exhibit myself...

Steve

I just meant some of the species/var. that they chose. I mean Borneo exotics has some well fairly exotic Neps. This had most of the var. of flava along with some hybrids and Cv. (Judith Hindle I think I see) which are not that impressive becasue they are so common. Maybe I am thinkabout this too mcuh as a Cper and not enough as a common person.

Hey Brooks, thanks!  They are both superior displays. I have to admit that I too favor the Sarracenia display like JBL but that's merely because I prefer Sarracenia to Nepenthes. There's just something "home grown, baseballish, and apple pieish" about Sarrs even though the Nep display was superior from a design perspective and in my opinion it should have won. I guess I'm just a superficial person. There's something flat out feel good and conforting when I see a wave of Sarrs all spread out like that.

Oh, hey..it looks just like my backyard. Just kidding. I think it looks really nice...but I haven't seen the Borneo one, either. I can see why it got a gold medal. Aprilh

Could somebody please post a picture of Borneo's exhibit. If you say it's better than this one, then it's got to be good.

Tony,
The Neps pics have been posted under the Neps thread for a week now, Go there to see them.

Well, I'm a Nep lover and I have to admit, from a purely aesthetic, (who cares which plants are in there), kind of perspective, I favor this display. However, if I were there, I would have taken 10x more pictures of the Nep display as this one.

Back