What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A few pitchers are dying

I checked on my small S. purpurea today, and I noticed that a few of the older pitchers seem to be dying. If you start at the mouth of the pitcher, and look your way down towards the base of the plant, there's a dead-looking spot where the pitcher starts to constrict, and I'm guessing that's where all of the dead bugs accumulate. These dead spots have been getting bigger over the past few days. Is this normal?

sarrspot19lg.jpg

sarrspot25ii.jpg

Sorry for the blurriness in the first picture. My camera auto-focused on the wrong pitcher.

Yep. That appears to be a common case of indigestion. It is not unusual for older pitchers to develop a rot-spot. For me, this seems to occur if the purpurea pitcher runs low on moisture and the "soup" becomes concentrated in the bottom. Or, if a large bug gets stuck at a particular place and decays.

Well, the pitchers are full of rainwater, but when I looked down the pitchers, there was a somewhat bug-peanutbutter packed down at the bottom of the pitchers. Yes, appetizing.

please don't ever say bug-peanutbutter agian.....

smile_t_32.gif

Back