What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarr soil?

My name is justin and I just bought my first sarr. When I bought it it was submerged in shallow water and it looks to me like it is potted purely in small stones. Should I keep the stones in the pot or should I repot it into some spagnum. Or should I do something else?

PS: In my terrarium set up I can not submerge the plant in water. It is a hot and humid tank, is this a good environment to grow it in?

thanks! Turner

just keep it in an inch or so and repot into 50/50 sand/peat.

put it outside and aclimate it to FULL sun.

Follow Clint's advice. And it sure wouldn't hurt throw LFS on top. Oh, and while you're at it, could ya please direct a Canadian cold front SOUTH?!

50/50 sand/peat is fine, but I have found I like just potting my sarrs in 100% long-fibered sphagnum (LFS).  They really seem to grow faster in this medium.

I have also made a mix of mostly 100% LFS, and a little peat thrown in to acidify, but I've noticed no difference.

If it were my plant, I'd bare-root it, wash all the old medium off it, and re=pot it in pure LFS, in a 8" drained plastic pot or so. Put the pot in a water tray that extends at least halfway up the pot, and keep it full of water.

Will Sarrs grow well in pure peat? I am making a mini bog and I was going to put a few sarrs in there.

thats fine.

I use 2:1 Canadian sphagnum peat moss/perlite with all my CPs, including Sarrs. They all do well.

jimscotscoot, Florida gets a cold front from Canada almost every winter. Cold as hell.

Can cold & Florida be used in the same sentence? Getting back to the topic at hand, I have my few Sarrs. in a mixture of peat & sand, topdressed with LFS. That works, too.

Thanks for the advice! Is it possible that my sarr can grow without being submerged in water? My terrarium is very small(20 gallons) and it is already filled with a huge sensitivity plant, my awesome nep( if I do say so myself
smile_m_32.gif
) and a vft. O, and a couple of seeds from my sensitivity plant are trying to grow in it aswell.

jimscotscoot, yes. During January, it can get in the 40s during the day, and because of the humidity, it feels wayyyy colder.. like, how the 20s feel up north. Trust me, I know. I was up north when it was in the 40s and I wore shorts, but down here when it gets in the 40s, it's cold as hell.

Back