Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Burned leaves... help..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My was wonder if anyone can help me out. I gathered my collection last spring... so this is my first complete growing season. Most of my sars are starting to get burned. All made it through dormancy and I repotted them in the 2 set ups that I have in the photos. All sprung to life and have been growing outside in full sun since coming out. Over the past couple weeks, the rims of many of my sarrs have started to burn. They seem to be growing fine besides this.

--I am in southwest ohio
    --They are on the south side of my house and get full sun.. sun up to sun down.. not filtering at all.
    --I use rain or distilled water... which I always keep at lease an inch or two deep in the water tray.
    --The media under the half inch of LFspag is spag and sand.
    --All my VFTs are in good shape and growing well.
    --I did have a small case of aphids that distorted some of the growing pitchers... i sprayed and watered with Ortho systemic which fixed the problem. I followed the directions and only did one application. That was a week or so before the burning has started.

So I was wondering if I should move them to get less sun or if it is a different problem all together. Also... since these collections are in the sun all day... would the media be getting too hot? I could paint the exterior white to help with this. Is spring growth softer then the later growth?

You can see some of the browning edges in the photos.

Any reasons here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well your plants look great.
    The leaves rims are turning brown because of intense sun. The plants are probably not used to such powerful sunlight. I think they should get a little less sunlight and more shade, and slowly to adjust them to the new , and higher light level, but they are likely to get well on their own once they get used to their new place.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wouldn't worry about the burned leaves. It's probably just them addjusting to the sun. Pitcher plants are full sun plants. The next leaves that come up shouldn't burn as easy.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    keep them there! they look great!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was planning on just watching the next batch of leaves pop up to see how they do.

All the leaves that are now burning on the rims have grown completely in full sun. None started under my garage dormancy lights.

In general are spring leaves more sensitive since they grew in less intense (full) sun during the spring?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your plants look very good. Spring leaves are indeed more tender because they probably developed during cooler and more cloudy conditions. Later leaves will likely develop under brighter and more intense sun. I would keep them in full sun, but make sure that as summer progresses they always have adequate water. Your plants are still relatively small and you have several plants in a somewhat small and shallow pot which can quickly dry out during a hot day. My one suggestion is to get a larger and deeper pot. The plants could be transferred with minimal disturbance by carefully placing the entire soil/plant mass into a hollowed out place in the larger pot or half whiskey barrel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah that is another thing on the list is to get a larger glazed container(s)...

These are 8"deep... so I am hoping to get them all through this season and then transfer next spring. I do keep my eye on them to make sure the tray always has water...which can go fast on the hot days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where are the burned leaves?

The purpurea pitcher is just dying off due to old age - they go brown around the edge of the hood and then it'll travel down the rest of the leaf.

I don't think you need to repot though, they look in perfect health. Spring leaves will also be able to handle strong sun - you'll easily burn in April in Alabama.

Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast