What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Pure lfs

I like to use pure LFS for most of my CP's. It's simple and seems to work well. I recently read at sarracenia.com that it was draining on the environment, but i also saw that it was better than peat on the CPS website. Does anyone know anything about this?

From what I gather, the answer is 'it depends'...

If it (or the peat under it) is 'strip mine' produced from fields, it can be damaging to the environment. But some companies are more responsible than others about that. It would be an interesting topic of discussion to find out what the production processes of various companies are.

Of course, if you manage to cultivate it yourself in small containers, it is a renewing resource... And if you buy dried LFS, it seems that it is packed with spores. Mine has started 'coming to life'.

I mix LFS about 50/50 with sponge rock for Sarrs and Neps. Blending cuts my LFS use in half and seems to create a much nicer rooting environment. The sphagnum is growing quite happily in all of my Sarr pots and one of my Nep pots.

I have a quick question on growing spag. I have a bit growing in a sundew pot that is inside.. in one of terrariums that gets just a bit of sun. I have tried moving some outside with my sarrs and it just seems to burn up quick as soon as the sun touches it even when I put it in a shadier spot. What are it's growth requirements?

Thanks anoxos. I'll look into the supplier of my LFS. How about New Zealand LFS. Does this kind need dormancy when it starts growing?

Nevermore, sphagnum, in my experience has been much hardier with an acidic growing base, IE: placing the moss on a base of pure peat seems to mimic a bog's makeup perhaps and it seems to do well for me. Lots of water is important more than the acidic base. If it drys, it will die. Live sphagnum seems best suited to very wet and or constantly misted species like Sarracenia and Nepenthes, most notably.

Just affirming what Nepenthes gracilis & Anoxos have said. I have it in plastic trays, on top of peat, and kept wet and well-lighted. I have been using to propogate leaf cuttings of pings, VFT's, Cephalotus follicularis, D. filiformis, and D. binata. Works well.

I guess my outside pots aren't wet enough for it to grow. The media in the pot below the half inch of lfs is spag and sand. But the lfs is just damp.. not wet.

I always end up with live LFS in my tanks. I line the bottom of the tanks with plain ol' dried LFS, pour water on it and in a few months I have a nice tankful of it. It wasn't intentional...I just used it to provide some humidity in my tanks not realizing it would regenerate. Looks great in the tanks and gives me free live moss.
smile.gif

Suzanne, I think I remember you saying something about how to propogate the dried LFS from bags. Could you reiterate that?

Back