User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What must i know to grow sarracenia's well?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    WHAT?? Are you serious, I gotta go with JLAP here, put them back now!
    Join the CCPS, you wont regret it: http://s4.invisionfree.com/CCPS

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to see them dead I will! A housing project is being built there. It was either me picking them or a bull doser. NOW, can anyone help me keep them alive?
    I'm still living off the corpse of the old world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Sarracenia need conservation because their habitat is being destroyed and people like you think they are pretty so you steal them.
    As a matter of fact I'm going back tomorrow. Unless you think I should let them all die.
    [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/mad.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay Children I know I am not a mod. but lets all take a deep breath before this erupts in a flame war.
    Diana sounds like a good project. Soon you'll have plants inside undergrowlights and in windows. Oh an just so you know in the future all your "Common" Carnivores will grow in basically the same way (Sarrs all the same as your purps except not as cold, Neps always warm and humid except with different temp drops, Mex. pings all warm, etc.). I would recommend picking up "The Savage Garden" it will really help answer basic questions and some harder ones.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Be careful that they aren't S. oreophila or another endangered strain. S. oreophila are known to grow in drier areas than most other Sarracenia. Even if you rescued them, taking the endangered species may have serious legal consequences; it may be in your best interest to return the plants or give them to the proper authorities. If you were trying to rescue them, that's great, but keep in mind that taking plants out of the wild has become a big problem for many populations and conservation-minded folks around here and elsewhere aren't very keen on that practice. There is a certain method to rescuing plants that you can read about in the conservation forums. If you know of a site that is in danger, you should discuss it there.
    They need to be wet. If they were growing someplace dry, it was because the top of the soil was dry. Sarracenia require moist soil at all times, but can put down very deep roots to find it. Put your plant in a large pot, the larger the better. In particular, a deep pot will make your plant happy. Use one part peat and/or long fiber sphagnum, and one part silica sand and/or perlite. The mix that you use for your flytraps should be adaquate. Some people recommend a top dressing of long fiber sphagnum, or live sphagnum, but it's not necessary.
    ~Joe

PS - Oh yes, welcome Diana! That container looks good, but what do you mean by self-watering? I had a self-watering basket for my Nepenthes (Asian pitcher plants) which turned out to be much too dry for my plants. Your container needs to be able to hold standing water all the way to halfway up the depth of the soil. One option would be to place that container in a large plastic storage bin. Best luck!
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seedjar, this is the plants.

They grow every where around here. This one was actually scooped up by a front end loader and set to the side for me. The operator knew I would want to save it. The entire area is being leveled for a housing project.

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well if you had permission then that's fine.

that's an S. minor. a favorite of mine. how many plants did you get? get all you can and make yourself a bog garden [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 8 stalks that where like one plant. The bulldoser broke them up. He (the operator)is going to take some 5 gallon buckets to work tomarrow and save as many as he can for me. I'm trying to get him involved in CP's but he says he has a brown thumb. I have 2 acres of pine covered land for them to live on. That and some TLC should go a long way. I'll keep a few inside with me.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast