Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: This sucks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have taken to moving the pots around throughout the summer thus far. It seems where ever I put the pots the next week it is too hot or too cool or whatever. The heat and direct sun aren't a terrible concern while at work all day when I know that the guys have been moved to a good spot for the day. I'm not brave enough to actually plant them out yet. My wife is starting to get suspicious when she walks from the back porch to the front porch or down in the basement and she see's plants everywhere...
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.
    Romans 10: 9-13
    Growlist http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index...04&#entry90304

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums droseraguy. I see you are a homestate person. I am about 90 miles north of you by the border to Wisconsin. So your wife is suspicious, eh? My husband is no longer suspect... he's tripping over my plants and last week he actually called the excavator himself to remind him that we still needed to get him out here to dig so that we could reclaim the patio. I have no qualms about planting my Sarrs out at all and plan on doing just that as soon as I get that bog excavated which I hope happens this year and not next year. If you do put your Sarrs out, mulch well and just make sure they get enough moisture over winter if there is little or no accumulation and they should be perfectly fine. VFTs even make it outside year round.

About moving pots around... I dunno about that, seems awfully labor intensive now that I actually think about it. Maybe I better start checking out reduction screening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My nemesis squirrels have all been taken care of by the nearby road so I don't have to worry about them anymore. I've only got a dozen or so this far so it's not too hard to shuffle them around. I may try overwintering this year outside though as they did not flower this spring and I sure would like some seed.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and The American G. I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ummm, you weren't planning on overwintering them "out" in pots were you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had thought about it, last year I burried (planted in the pot rim deep) a pot of roses and one of some hostas, both of which I was going to move in the spring. They survived even without mulch ! I thought I might try that again with some pitchers only using a good layer of pine needles too. Bad idea ?[img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_h_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You'd definitely be pushing the limits if you tried that one. I'd tell you to consider experimenting but I couldn't even do that in good conscience because we're both zone 5. I'm sure there is somebody out there who has successfully done it, but that's more risk than I woudl be comfortable with. If you have a children's sand box you could recess the pots in there and then cover it with a layer of pine needles. I've done that with a few and they've been fine. It's the freeze thaw cycles that will do them in. Also too, I firmly believe a winter drought is worse than a summer drought. If it doesn't snow for a while, you really should consider getting out there to make sure they haven't dried out. I didn't have to water my little outdoor bog this year but I did the year before. If your garage is attached to your home, that's the best place for any plant that isn't in an outdoor bog in my humble opinion. Then you can check the plants every month or so and if they feel really dry to the touch, give them enough water for it to slowly wick up for say 5 minutes and then call it a day until the next month or so. If you are growing in pots smaller than 8-10", you may want to check them a little more frequently. The only plants I lost in my garage were plants that were in 4" or maybe it was 5" pots and those darn plants didn't belong to me which was a real bite. I replaced them for the school but I still felt really bad. The small pots dry out considerably faster.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip, the garage thing is how I killed the whole lot 2 years ago, not enough attention.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So sorry for recommending it. I've truly been quite successful overwintering them that way other than one D. intermedia and one D. rotundifolia. The Sarrs all made it.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast