What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

This sucks

My S. purpurea was doing fine outside until I came out to check on it one day, and found this.
deadsarr9sq.jpg

It seemed to be doing great, and now all of the leaves are all crispy. I took the above picture about 3 days ago. This is what it looks like now. Mold is starting to grow on the growing point. I'm sure that it's dead.
hpim06980sq.jpg

I checked for pests, but found none. What the heck happened?

it happened overnight?

looks like the roots rotted and then the foliage couldn't get water (because the roots were dead) and then the foliage died.

toss it. it's toast. and also the soil looks like it's infested with algae so you need to change your water type in the future.

did you check the roots? could be a pest below the soil.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JustLikeAPill @ June 29 2005,12:52)]toss it. it's toast. and also the soil looks like it's infested with algae so you need to change your water type in the future.
Change my water type? I use distilled.

that's weird... so much algae

Yeah, I get a crapload of it. I don't know why.

I just cut off all the dead pitchers and took the thing out of the pot. No pests below the soil. I washed off most of the soil from the roots, and gave them a heavy spraying with fungicide. The roots were mostly very light brownish, and some tips were white. I repotted the little rooted nub in a mixture of peat and perlite, which I microwaved before I put the plant in. It's a last ditch effort. Heck, disturbing the roots in the growing season probably killed it anyway.

I don't get it. I thought that Sarracenia liked boggy, wet conditions. How can I prevent root rot and also do that?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mannex17 @ July 01 2005,12:44)]I don't get it.  I thought that Sarracenia liked boggy, wet conditions.  How can I prevent root rot and also do that?
WELL draining soil, and let the water trays run dry for a few hours between waterings.

I have found that Sars prefer to be top watered. I pour enough water into the pot so that when it drains out the water level is about 1/4 of the way up the side of the pot.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ July 01 2005,3:58)]I have found that Sars prefer to be top watered. I pour enough water into the pot so that when it drains out the water level is about 1/4 of the way up the side of the pot.
Steve, I have mine in a mini-bog (a bucket). Would you say that a bucket, being a larger version of a pot, would also benefit from having a drainage hole poked on the side, about 1/4 the way up as well? Seems logical to me.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ July 01 2005,1:17)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (vft guy in SJ @ July 01 2005,3:58)]I have found that Sars prefer to be top watered. I pour enough water into the pot so that when it drains out the water level is about 1/4 of the way up the side of the pot.
Steve, I have mine in a mini-bog (a bucket). Would you say that a bucket, being a larger version of a pot, would also benefit from having a drainage hole poked on the side, about 1/4 the way up as well? Seems logical to me.
Definately give it drainage holes.

1/4 of the way up the side of the pot is my guideline, as a rule of thumb, you want the water tray to dry out within 1 day. If you have larger trays it may take less depth in the tray.

It may just be the algae, but it looks like your soil has the same consistency as potting soil!
smile_m_32.gif

I think the consensus is that what caused your plants death is root rot.

How do you prevent root rot while keeping the plant constantly wet? Simple.... very well draining pot and potting mix. That means a lot of drainage holes at the bottom, and a loose soil like 1:1 peat:perlite or sand. That way, you can keep the pot in a saucer of water, and not have to worry as much about root rot.

The first few times I made my potting mixes, I thought to myself: "this doesn't have enough peat.....it's too loose." But then I remembered that roots don't grow IN soil, they grow AROUND the soil particles....so having a airy, light, loose, free draining soil is great for most plants.

I would say some sort of firtilizer got into your peat.  You might have also cooked the plant and allowed the roots to get too warm (or a combination of borth...)

So, the idea is to let your sarrs water trays dry out once in a while?

I have been letting that happen because I figure in the wild..the bogs do occasianally dry up for a day or so. Aprilh.

To me it appears your root system has failed. Root rot seems too obvious. I’d be sort of interested to know where you had the pot? Your plant declined far too fast for my liking to have gone from photo 1 to the second photo where it was virtually dead in that span of time. I’m thinking root scorch with a secondary bacterial or fungal infection. Is that pot anywhere close to a wall that is radiating heat? Is it placed on asphalt? Just curious.

I water all the Sarrs from the top. My drip trays are virtually dry to the bone at least twice a day. I water 3-4x a day in this heat as the plants are really sucking up the water.  I have a few inches of sand in the bottom of most pots. I'm using a mix of sphagnum/sand at around 2/3 parts sphagnum to 1 part sand. This appears to be working for me. I use rain water, distilled water, and most recently began using RO/DI water due to all the water bans in the area.

Some of my newly transplanted Sarrs are shocking and pitchers are burning because of the time of year I received them. I am trying to add a 1/4 cap full of SuperThrive per gallon to those plants.  Because of the drought, I am getting leaf/pitcher burn. Not much you can do about that when the air is so dry from not having had more than a quarter inch of rain around my neck of the woods since May 12th. We've also had unseasonably warm weather here. When the day time temps are hovering around 90F each day, the plants tend to shut down to conserve energy which leaves them vulnerable to a host of diseases. I tinkered with the idea of misting mine in the early morning but figured that was a sure fire way to scorch them. I am now thinking that I want to try to raise the relative humidity around the plants by misting them at night to get through this heat.  I may or may not do this.

I am thinking you may have a combination of issues which culminated in the failure of your plant’s root system.

I think that it may have been that the soil didn't drain enough. I had it in a pot that was sitting in a tray of water out on my deck. If you're also wondering about the temperature, it gets quite hot out there, and maybe the roots did warm up too fast.

Mine (purps) are in a minibog sitting in full sun in Florida. I have drainage holes about 2 inches from the top of the soil. For the most part they are wet all the time. The only problem I did have was when the bog dried a little and fire ants moved in. Still haven't fully recovered from that but should be ok.

LauraZ5 This may be off subject, but you said you started using RO/DI water recently due to the water bans? Is it your system or are you getting it from work or something. The reason I'm asking is because if there is a water ban then your waisting alot of water using the RO unit.:;): They are not eficient at all in the ammount of waste water spent out. LauraZ5 I would also try misting your plants during the day with cool or cold water to help bring the temps down. Try it on one plant. Orchid folks do it all the time to cool aff plants in extreme heat. Not many orchids can taker full sun like Sars can so I figure if it works for chids then it should work for sars to cool them off. I have my sars in full sun next to a privacy fence. They are sitting in an old pizza dow tray sitting atop of two 5 gallon buckets. I drilled a hole about an inch or so up to drain excess water and everything seems to be doing fine. I haven't been growing to long, but the tray has only dried out a few times since setting it up. Am I asking for touble? The only thing I do realy is filter out the water every few days because it seems to attract mosquitoes and I hate those things and I'm afraid to try adding anything to the water to keep them from giving birth there. I just run the water through an OR towel I have out there and put the same water back in minus the bug larva.

Hey Josh, It's pretty bad here. We got an eighth of an inch of rain yesterday and it evaporated before it hit the ground for all practical purposes and then the last rain we got was about a quarter of an inch well over a week before that. Other than that, no rain since May 12th... and none forecasted in the next two weeks.

People's wells are going dry left and right and you can see the contractors out there re-drilling all over the place. Three now in my neighborhood alone and that's less than 30 homes. We went dry last year with that 12 week drought so we already re-drilled. Very costly and our well was only 3 years old. I fried out the pump to the well because I was out there trying to water plants and didn't know the well was dry.  That was another lovely added expense. Currently, our water pressure is poor, very poor. I watered my new native trees/shrubs and other native herbaceous perennials using the water from the kids' swimming pool. Kids were not happy. When that 3500 gallons was gone, I ordered a tanker for home and am getting ready to order another one. My oldest son does water trees in the yard and in my little orchard using the garden hose on Sundays but we won't let him water more than 3 hours and no more than 5 minutes per tree. Last weekend, he took it upon himself to water several of my CP bogs with well water that is testing at 268 parts per million. Oh I about had a heart attack as there is no way to flush out anything recessed into the ground. First time that happened and it will be the last.

In addition to all the bans (never did understand why people bothered watering their lawns anyway as they just go dormant and bounce back with rain), several water mains broke in the area so there are boil orders in effect and in other areas there are boil orders thanks to the geese and deer feces leeching into the water table so needless to say, the shelves are wiped out of both RO and distilled water and people are calling around to find out when the trucks are coming to deliver more so they can be there to get it. I was one of those people.

I bought the RO unit. It is mine. RO is not efficient at all and RO/DI is even less efficient. I currently am bypassing the DI phase. My husband placed some sort of a little plastic valve on the discharge tube to slow down the discharge and build up pressure in the unit to pump out more water. The unit is set up at my office (Lake Michigan water) and I am lugging the water home in my car every single day.  I have the RO water emptying into a 50 gallon barrel and the discharged water emptying into another barrel.  I use some of the discharge water to fill up my birdbath at work. I also have a neighbor from another office who has a birdbath and she comes over and gets the discharged water for her birdbath which is also placed outside her office window like mine. The birds are having such a tough time that we see them in the gutters of roofs in the morning trying to drink condensation.  Our building maintenance is using the rest of the discharged water. Gosh, I hope everyone who is using RO units is not wasting the dishcarge water as it is perfectly fine for most landscape plants as well as birdbaths and all you have to do is collect it.

Regarding my RO/DI unit, even city water is losing pressure now and is down to 55-60 psi so we just ordered an Aquatech 8800 Booster pump for the RO unit which should push the psi to 70-110 to enable it to produce more water.  I have a need for 25 gallons a day. On days when the temps are high, the need is greater.  Although rated for 100 gallons a day, my unit is barely able to produce 25 right now. So, my husband is picking up supplemental distilled water for me from where ever. At least we aren't out there trying to buy distilled water 100 gallons at a time anymore and comparing notes over the phone of which retailer is out and who has it.

What is an OR towel? I have no issues with mosquitoes.  I use the dunks you can buy at Home Depot. You can break the dunks down to smaller pieces to use in birdbaths and other water features.  I promise you they will not hurt your CPs. It might be a time saver for you to use them as they last a good 45-60 days. Here's a thread where they were discussed-
http://www.petflytrap.com/cgi-bin....17;st=0

Back to misting, I started misting the plants after the sun went down a few days ago in an attempt to increase the relative humidity around the plants. I am afraid to do it during the day because as you mentioned, orchids aren't in full sun and Sarrs are. I haven't been growing CPs all that long either so I don't know if you are in trouble or not by having let your tray dry out a few times. Even when my trays are bone dry, the medium is still nice and damp so maybe I should have clarified. My medium has never been allowed to dry out.  I have stopped using 6" pots though. With this heat and me being gone during the day, I found they were drying out a little too fast for my liking. The 8" and 10" pots seem better capable of withstanding the trays drying out during the day without the medium drying out. My plants are on concrete as well as up on some sort of concrete sills. The brick is light colored as is the siding on the home so I have an ideal patio for growing these plants in that they aren't heating up from anything radiating heat back at them. The other thing is that the patio is in full sun and is a wind break so that is reducing the rate of evaporation. I could be in worse shape.

Everyone all together now!  Let's do a rain dance for the flora and fauna out my way! Speaking of which, the deer are coming in close to my house. I have found their little hoof tracks up to two of my preform ponds. Ugh.

yeah the water levels in sarracenia fields/bogs flucuate with the rains. sometimes you'll get up to your knees and sometimes it's very firm and nice to walk on.
crunchy even.

Back