What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S. flava and leucophylla

lol

BANNED
Of theese two species, and forms or varieties can obtain pitchers of 30" or more? I'm becoming ever more interested in theese plants. Thanks.

In the wild, both of these can achieve that height [from what I remember). In cultivation, they're usually smaller.

The strength & size of robust pitchers in their natural habitat can be amazing. They seem to handle all sorts of winds and storms also, w/o flopping like our protected cousins do...
confused.gif

IIRC, the plants from SC, NC & VA seem to be smaller in general than the plants in the FL panhandle. Maybe someone w/ more experience can correct me if this is not accurate.

Well that's interesting. I didnt know the environment had such an impact on their size. I believe with a lot of milk feeding, I could get mine to almost 3'. Milk feeding in my smaller plants encourages big growth spurts, large and fast growth.

I don't believe amount of feeding affects the height of the pitchers - it just increases the size of the rhizome, increases flowering and creates more growing points.

A plant will have a gentically determined maximum size and most leucos and flavas will get to 70, 80 or even 90cm in cultivation under glass. Exceptional plants (usually mooreis) will get to 100cm.
In the field Leah Wilkinson reaches 135cm apparently. The biggest plant I've seen is a 110cm flava x alata.

Back