What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Need help with all my pitcher plants.

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I moved last month. I had to dig all my pitcher plants up, most were flowering. I had them planted in a bog. I had to dig them up, put them in bags and then when I got here I had to repot them in pots. I don't think I need to tell you that they are extremly stressed. The flowers all turn brown and died. Now all the pitchers have wilted and are now almost totaly brown.
What should I do? Should I dig them up and make them go dormant or should I just see if they will recover on their own?

That sucks Ozzy,tough call.Maybe they will recover by themselves.Hard to tell.

Jerry

Ozzy, run Superthrive through the pots. Use a mix of 1/2 cap of thrive to the gallon, and go to work. Use this mix for several days
(maybe seven), and hope like crazy. Keep them in sun, but decrease sun to morning sun only, 4 hrs. Wait, hope for the best.
Now you have all the info for getting a plant to hopefully not die. Oh, don't forget to cross your fingers!

they will be fine. follow bugweed's advice. don't worry.

Ick.. if the leaves have all wilted and are now mostly brown it's kinda late. Keep em moist and watch for disease on the dying tissue.

For future reference when roots are lost from digging a plant out of a bog. One has to compensate for the plants reduced ability to supply water to it's leaves. Reduce transpiration either by chopping back the leaves, increasing humidity, or blocking moisture loss from the leaves via spray on stuff for that purpose.

Tony

Might be worth while to trim off the damaged tissue to avoid rot/mold/fungus.

If they were strong before, they will recover. If there were weak before, they will die. I'm willing to bet you will have a little of both, but I hope that it leans towards more survivors!

That's very strange. I find sarras can take being repotted pretty easily and at worst just sulk for a few weeks.

Any photos?

In my experiences, Sarras, along with most plants, are a lot tougher than they are given credit for. I've had Sarras reappear this year that I haven't seen since 2002. Don't know what happened to them. Thought they were dead. Rhizome looked healthy, just nothing grew from it for the past 2 summers. Also, I had mistakenly left a few freshly divided Sarras in ziplocs in my garage. For 3.5 months! Found them a couple of weeks ago, bone dry. Felt like 100 degrees in the garage. All the leaves crumbled to dust when I discovered them. I replanted them 2 weeks ago. Already have phyllodes appearing.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about anything until the rhizomes are black and mushy. May not get any pitchers this year, but I would bet they'll rebound. Unless they have been seriously overtaken by some pathogen.

Back