Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purple pitcher plant?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was at Lowes today, and they had all these cp's, so I had to get some... I know its not the best idea to get your cp's at a department store, but I had to! Anyway, I got a purple pitcher plant, and I was wondering what other name it might go by... I also got two sundew plants, a red spine vp, and a cobra lily... ( = Well, I have got to be going. TTFN.

Blessed Be,
    Jordan
    Blessed Be,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your purple pitcher plant is more then likley a S. purpurea venosa
    You don't need an iron chest if you have a sharp brain and a silk tongue.

GROWLIST
    Wolf's Growlist

I've got a magic window! elgecko's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums.
    I got my first plants from Lowes. Depending how long they were there, they can be in good condition.
    Your addiction is just beginning.

My Grow List Updated 8/24/17

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Greetings,

I have rescued a few CPs from Lowes. Around here the purple pitcher plants they get in are S. purpurea ssp. purpurea.

Brian

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Locally to me, they are S. purpurea ssp. venosa. Local to you, who knows.

But at any rate, it is S. purpurea something. Get it healthy and in good light. Let it perk up, and soon you'll be able to tell which subspecies it is from the coloration.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the replies! ( = Ok, about the light, I am unclear on what kind of lighting to use... I am growing them in my room, in a little greenhouse type enclosure, and I was wondering if I needed to get some artificial lighting to put above it? Well, if you could possible point me in the right direction, that would be awesome! Prices, places to get them, type of light bulb, etc... ( = Thanks so much!

Blessed Be,
    Jordan

P.S. I am totally obsessed with these plants! Have been sense the 4th grade. Its just now, I can actually obtain my plants. ( = I do want to get the book, The Savage Garden. Looks good...
    Blessed Be,
    Jordan

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you can, you should put them outdoors in full sunlight..as much direct light as you can give them.
    yes, the current leaves will burn, like a sunburn, because they arent used to the light, but as new pitchers sprout they will be able to take the light..

thats the best option..natural sunlight is best, very bright, and free!
    and growing them outdoors has the added bonus of the plants being able to catch their own food.
    and you will also have to think about dormancy this winter..growing outdoors helps with that too..
    if outdoors isnt an option, then others here will be able to point you to artificial light ideas..
    Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scottychaos @ July 08 2005,11:35)]If you can, you should put them outdoors in full sunlight..as much direct light as you can give them.
    yes, the current leaves will burn, like a sunburn, because they arent used to the light, but as new pitchers sprout they will be able to take the light..

thats the best option..natural sunlight is best, very bright, and free!
    and growing them outdoors has the added bonus of the plants being able to catch their own food.
    and you will also have to think about dormancy this winter..growing outdoors helps with that too..
    if outdoors isnt an option, then others here will be able to point you to artificial light ideas..
    Scot
    Uhm, I don't know if its hot enough down here, and the sun hasnít been out for a while... Plus, that would mean transplanting them, and I am no where near confident enough with them to do that... Thanks though. I also have two sundews, two flytraps, and a cobra lily. ( =

Blessed Be,
    Jordan
    Blessed Be,
    Jordan

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast