Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New sarracenia owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] ]Alvin - I just took peek at your grow list and photos... WOW! Any other recommendations for a robust seasonal growing Sarracenia? GORGEOUS VFTs!
    Thanks [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Here's when sarracenia are at their best:

Flava - spring
    Oreophila - spring
    Leucophylla - autumn
    Alata - late summer / early autumn
    Purpurea - throughout
    Purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii - late summer / early autumn
    Rubra - late summer / early autumn
    Psittacina - summer onwards
    Minor - spring and summer

There are countless hybrids so I would recommend you look at the photo thread and find 'sarracenia's' photos - he seems to be the king of hybrids [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Alvin. I ordered some S. Leucophylla and 'Dana's Delight' (those will look great next to the chartreuse S. Flava). I got home today and due to some storms we've been having, the S. Flava were tilted to one side. Seems the roots haven't found a strong hold yet. What can I do to ensure these guys take solid root? Would switching to a peat/sand and LFS mixture help? If so could I repot now without severely disturbing the plant? I've also noticed the S. Purpurea has gotten a little crispy... not turning brown but just seems a little dry even with the pitchers full of rainwater. Probably just adjusting to the new climate? New growth seems a bit slow as we've had nothing but rain and haze for the last week.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is you flava planted in at the moment? If you secure it with a hoop or something it will root in better over the next couple of months.
    Old pitchers on the purpurea can go a little crispy. Is there still new growth coming from the center? Where do you live by the way?
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The S. Flava is actually 2 plants in an 8" pot. I compacted the media a bit last night and it survived a night storm just fine. I think the rain has been loosening the mix (why did I use perlite?) and some of the smaller pitchers were getting filled with water however I'm keeping a close eye on it. There was new growth in the center of the S. Purpurea when I received it. The new growth is currently soft and seems to be holding moisture... good sign, however growth is still slow. Alvin - what type of soil do you use for your Sarrs and VFTs? Do you grow outdoors? When I repot in the Spring I've been thinking of switching to a sand/peat mix since I'm growing outdoors. I live in the Western New York Buffalo vicinity. Thanks. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My plants live in the greenhouse and are potted in 2:1 peat / perlite. If you use perlite outdoors though it tends to float to the top.
    Everything you're doing sounds fine. Both will need to get used to their new conditions, so you'll have to be patient.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For those who might enjoy a good CP update I had to post this as I was all sorts of excited after this perfect weather (not really for people) we've been having here in WNY. I explained this to my wife but she just patted me on the head, gave me a peck on the cheek, and went about her business. My Purpurea and Flava had a growth spurt! The Purpurea burped out a nice chunky pitcher and I've been noticing some critters floating around inside... new growth is forming all over. What I was most excited about was my Flava, when I received it a couple weeks ago there were some old pitchers that were dying but a few midsize pitchers that still trying to grow (now there are the non-trap leaves growing in nicely). Well I did a close inspection today and one of those pitchers opened up nicely and low and behold inside was a little yellow jacket (my wife felt sorry for it - she's a softie). Sorry, had to share the news. I was so geeked to see this as I had thought the Flava might not make it with the new surroundings let alone be able to trap anything. This weather has been fantastic for my plants. Even my VFTs are spitting out some HUGE traps all of the sudden and they're growing like wildfire. Many thanks to the members here for some great growing tips! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have tried many soil bases, and find straight Canadian sphagnum peat moss works just fine, and every North American species grows well in it.
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 23 2005,1:05)]For those who might enjoy a good CP update I had to post this as I was all sorts of excited after this perfect weather (not really for people) we've been having here in WNY. I explained this to my wife but she just patted me on the head, gave me a peck on the cheek, and went about her business.
    At least she did that! A lot of our wives think we're all nuts. Mine describes this hobby as "morbid".

Any predictions about our Bills/

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast