What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New sarracenia owner

I just got a few S. Flava and S. Purpurea today. The Purpurea looks incredible. The Flava looks OK too but some of the pitchers have thick brown rings on their necks. Some are even brown spots that looks like they've rotten through. Is this just signs of shipping stress or something more serious? Not all the pitchers have this... quite a few look very healthy. I have both in a mix of 50/50 peat/perlite. Also to note, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I was short on pots and potted the Purpurea in a 2-Liter bottle cut in half with holes melted in for drainage. Can I leave it be or would it be a good idea to repot to something more sturdy? I'm begininng to like these more than my VFTs (just a bit more). Thanks in advance.

Brown spots and rings don't sound like shipping stress to me, but I'm no expert. Older pitchers naturally brown and die eventually, but usually from the top edge down...Sounds like a few pitchers might have pest or mold damage.

But I can say with confidence that you should never be embarrassed by your pots! I know of many of us that use (or have used) milk jugs, 5-gallon buckets, and any handy non-porous container to plant CPs. Whatever works! Replace it when you can, or when the plastic eventually cracks from handling. But it's fine.

Right now I'm trying to convince my husband that an old cast-iron claw-foot tub could make a cool mini-bog once we move somewhere that we have a sunny patio... A friend has the tub, and is looking to sell it.
smile.gif

S. flava looks best between April and June. The pitchers are past their best about now, but they will still do the business of fly catching and photosynthesis over the next couple of months.

Thanks for the input. Is it OK to clip the ugly pitchers at the base? I clipped one that was heavily affected and opened it up to find what I think are bugs. Do these trap that much? They (or it) were filled up 3/4 of the way to the mouth of the pitcher. I'm a bit in the dark on the proper way to grow these as I put all my energy into VFTs but wanted to expand the collection. They're absolutely beautiful and I'd like for them to grow as healthy as possible. What's the general rule of thumb for sarracenias (I have both pupurea and flava) and dormancy or is there one? Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll post some pics soon.
smilie4.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ July 15 2005,10:13)]or mold damage.

But I can say with confidence that you should never be embarrassed by your pots! I know of many of us that use (or have used) milk jugs, 5-gallon buckets, and any handy non-porous container to plant CPs. Whatever works! Replace it when you can, or when the plastic eventually cracks from handling. But it's fine.
Hmmm..... I think I resemble that!!
smile_n_32.gif
Not to mention pipette dispenser and yogurt containers.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 14 2005,7:25)]I'm begininng to like these more than my VFTs (just a bit more).
Oh no! You had better seek therapy immediately.

I usually leave any leaves on all my plants that still have a significant amount of green since this will continue to provide photosynthesis for the plant, regardless of how it looks. Only when a pitcher or leaf is 80-90% gone will I remove it. Pitchers will get bug holes and all sorts of age related damage over time.

A few days passed and the flava are starting to brown a bit more that I hoped. Any ideas what may be causing it? Should I be expecting some new growth in the next few weeks? Purpurea is doing fine however and showing no signs of stress. Here's some pics after a heavy rain... that'll learn me to use perlite outdoors (hope that doesn't screw things up either).

sarraceniaflava.jpg

sarraceniapupurea.jpg

Probably because you repotted your flava and put it in new conditions. It's also getting late in the season. That's the reason why I like flava hybrids more
biggrin.gif

Are the hybrids more acceptable to new growing conditions? Can I expect new growth for the next season? I'm not giving up on these dudes... they're too pretty. What do I do about dormancy? Questionsquestionsquestions....
confused.gif

They look a bit like they've suffered some aphid damage - you've got some twisted pitchers there. Leave it as it is though and don't cut into green tissue. It looks like you can snip off the dead brown pitcher in the bottom right though.

I'm afraid the only new growth you'll probably see now is non-trapping flat leaves used purely for photosynthesis. Flava is a spring grower and the older pitchers will slowly decay over the next few months.

Your purpurea will carry on growing pitchers until it gets cold.

Keep them the same way as your VFTs. Sarracenia require the same dormancy.

All sarracenia cope fine with new conditions and being repotted - they're pretty tough. The advantage of hybrids is that with most of them you get pitcher growth non stop throughout the season. I would recommend you get a 'Judith Hindle' or something - they look their best in June - September at least.

Thanks for the helpful advice. I don't mind the wait for next season. I guess I just needed to know what to do with them now. It makes sense the Flava is late in season as I received it FULL to the gills with bugs. I assumed it was time for it to kick back and digest until it gets cold. Should I treat it in some way in case it is insect damage? I'll look into getting some different species that last a bit longer for the next growing season but It'll be nice to see what happens to this spring grower. Will it at least take root before dormancy? This site is incredible for assistance!

Alvin - I just took peek at your grow list and photos... WOW! Any other recommendations for a robust seasonal growing Sarracenia? GORGEOUS VFTs!

Oh yea, and all the bugs will speed up pitcher decay, and can create "dead zones" along the pitcher. I wouldn't really worry about it unless it displays abnormal growth, exluding the flat non-carnivorous leaves that should soon pop up. Take care.

Hey, pm me and I can tell you how to obtain some good performers for the rest of the growing season, if you like.

The browning spots so low on the pitcher leaf looks like leaf burn. That usually happens with an over full, had to much to eat, pitcher. The leaf will die at that level and slowly spread around the leaf. Cut the dead and dying leaf and the new growth will eventually replace it. No thing. So many pitchers of mine are so full of insects that most of them have the insect caused "dead zone". The rhizomes are very healthy and happy in spite of the leaves problems.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Alvin - I just took peek at your grow list and photos... WOW! Any other recommendations for a robust seasonal growing Sarracenia? GORGEOUS VFTs!

Thanks
smile.gif

Here's when sarracenia are at their best:

Flava - spring
Oreophila - spring
Leucophylla - autumn
Alata - late summer / early autumn
Purpurea - throughout
Purpurea ssp. venosa var. burkii - late summer / early autumn
Rubra - late summer / early autumn
Psittacina - summer onwards
Minor - spring and summer

There are countless hybrids so I would recommend you look at the photo thread and find 'sarracenia's' photos - he seems to be the king of hybrids
smile.gif

Thanks Alvin. I ordered some S. Leucophylla and 'Dana's Delight' (those will look great next to the chartreuse S. Flava). I got home today and due to some storms we've been having, the S. Flava were tilted to one side. Seems the roots haven't found a strong hold yet. What can I do to ensure these guys take solid root? Would switching to a peat/sand and LFS mixture help? If so could I repot now without severely disturbing the plant? I've also noticed the S. Purpurea has gotten a little crispy... not turning brown but just seems a little dry even with the pitchers full of rainwater. Probably just adjusting to the new climate? New growth seems a bit slow as we've had nothing but rain and haze for the last week.

What is you flava planted in at the moment? If you secure it with a hoop or something it will root in better over the next couple of months.
Old pitchers on the purpurea can go a little crispy. Is there still new growth coming from the center? Where do you live by the way?

The S. Flava is actually 2 plants in an 8" pot. I compacted the media a bit last night and it survived a night storm just fine. I think the rain has been loosening the mix (why did I use perlite?) and some of the smaller pitchers were getting filled with water however I'm keeping a close eye on it. There was new growth in the center of the S. Purpurea when I received it. The new growth is currently soft and seems to be holding moisture... good sign, however growth is still slow. Alvin - what type of soil do you use for your Sarrs and VFTs? Do you grow outdoors? When I repot in the Spring I've been thinking of switching to a sand/peat mix since I'm growing outdoors. I live in the Western New York Buffalo vicinity. Thanks.  
smile.gif

Back