Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New sarracenia owner

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got a few S. Flava and S. Purpurea today. The Purpurea looks incredible. The Flava looks OK too but some of the pitchers have thick brown rings on their necks. Some are even brown spots that looks like they've rotten through. Is this just signs of shipping stress or something more serious? Not all the pitchers have this... quite a few look very healthy. I have both in a mix of 50/50 peat/perlite. Also to note, and I'm a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I was short on pots and potted the Purpurea in a 2-Liter bottle cut in half with holes melted in for drainage. Can I leave it be or would it be a good idea to repot to something more sturdy? I'm begininng to like these more than my VFTs (just a bit more). Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brown spots and rings don't sound like shipping stress to me, but I'm no expert. Older pitchers naturally brown and die eventually, but usually from the top edge down...Sounds like a few pitchers might have pest or mold damage.

But I can say with confidence that you should never be embarrassed by your pots! I know of many of us that use (or have used) milk jugs, 5-gallon buckets, and any handy non-porous container to plant CPs. Whatever works! Replace it when you can, or when the plastic eventually cracks from handling. But it's fine.

Right now I'm trying to convince my husband that an old cast-iron claw-foot tub could make a cool mini-bog once we move somewhere that we have a sunny patio... A friend has the tub, and is looking to sell it. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    S. flava looks best between April and June. The pitchers are past their best about now, but they will still do the business of fly catching and photosynthesis over the next couple of months.
    Alexis Vallance, U.K.
    Plant gallery
    Grow list

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input. Is it OK to clip the ugly pitchers at the base? I clipped one that was heavily affected and opened it up to find what I think are bugs. Do these trap that much? They (or it) were filled up 3/4 of the way to the mouth of the pitcher. I'm a bit in the dark on the proper way to grow these as I put all my energy into VFTs but wanted to expand the collection. They're absolutely beautiful and I'd like for them to grow as healthy as possible. What's the general rule of thumb for sarracenias (I have both pupurea and flava) and dormancy or is there one? Thanks for everyone's advice. I'll post some pics soon. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smilie4.gif[/img]

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (Anoxos @ July 15 2005,10:13)]or mold damage.

But I can say with confidence that you should never be embarrassed by your pots! I know of many of us that use (or have used) milk jugs, 5-gallon buckets, and any handy non-porous container to plant CPs. Whatever works! Replace it when you can, or when the plastic eventually cracks from handling. But it's fine.
    Hmmm..... I think I resemble that!! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img] Not to mention pipette dispenser and yogurt containers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (scupbucket @ July 14 2005,7:25)]I'm begininng to like these more than my VFTs (just a bit more).
    Oh no! You had better seek therapy immediately.

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I usually leave any leaves on all my plants that still have a significant amount of green since this will continue to provide photosynthesis for the plant, regardless of how it looks. Only when a pitcher or leaf is 80-90% gone will I remove it. Pitchers will get bug holes and all sorts of age related damage over time.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A few days passed and the flava are starting to brown a bit more that I hoped. Any ideas what may be causing it? Should I be expecting some new growth in the next few weeks? Purpurea is doing fine however and showing no signs of stress. Here's some pics after a heavy rain... that'll learn me to use perlite outdoors (hope that doesn't screw things up either).

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast