Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cobra lily - my nemesis

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea, under normal circumstances. Unfortunately, we live in a townhouse apartment and they are persnicketty about what we do. I asked and received permission to put in a strawberry patch out back. But then the people who cut the grass complined because they couldn't get by it. So out the strawberry patch went out the window. Then I put a misting hose on the side, to water my garden. But again that was vetoed - and the hose was severed, hopefully by accident. There is electricty and I could physically run a cord out there, but I don't think it will fly. I thank you for your input, though.

God must have an interesting sense of humor Wesley's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Another thing you might could try Jim, is siphoning the hose. I don't know what kind of setup the stream has but depending on conditons, that could work.
    ~Wes~

My plants are going green to save the environment

My Growlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's a good idea. Now to find a safe spot that is lower than the stream... So far, nearly all of its pitchers have turned brown, but I kinda expected that, from shock. But we had a 3/4" rainstorm a couple days ago and nothing budged. I'm waiting for one of those hurricane remnant storms that dump 3" in a short amount of time, backing Wyomissing Creek up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uhm , I use to have a bunch of problems growing darlingtonia and i tried everything that seemed to help but was'nt . I live in the San fernando valley in southern california and it's pretty much hot dry desert conditions here , especially now during the summer but i have 2 darlingtonia's outside and there doing just fine . they weather even get's up to more then 106 and they do fine sitting outside in the dry ehat . I don't know how they are able to survive but my setup is one darlingtonia in partial shade in a 5 inch plastic container that's always waterlogged and filled to the brim . It's potted in lfs , perlite and pumice , and some orchid bark . I have an aquarium air pump pumping air in it's root 24/7 in it's water lgoged conditions . But i don' think that it's the waterlogged aerated conditions that keep it alive because like i said , i broguth 2 darlingtonia and i wanted to experimen with them . The other darlingtonia was in it's original 3 inch pot with lfs and it's grow on a water tray in partial shade as well . the only physical difference between the plants is that the waterlogged aerated plant grew taller then the one grown like in normal conditions , the water logged plant also flowered twice , actually three times . So i don't know what it is that keeps them alive but maybe trying to ahrd to keep them alive is why darlingtonia is so hard to achieve satisfaction from [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ July 30 2005,1:05)]I don't know how they are able to survive but my setup is one darlingtonia in partial shade in a 5 inch plastic container that's always waterlogged and filled to the brim . It's potted in lfs , perlite and pumice , and some orchid bark . I have an aquarium air pump pumping air in it's root 24/7 in it's water lgoged conditions .
    I think you figured out the trick right there. People say it's keeping the roots cool that keeps them alive, but from what I've been reading I think keeping them oxygenated is at least that important. In the wild when the roots are practically in a stream, yes the water is keeping them cool, but it's also bringing them oxygen constantly, which isn't happening in a pot.

I've been thinking of trying the aquarium pump thing too.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (goldtrap2690 @ July 30 2005,1:05)]Uhm , I use to have a bunch of problems growing darlingtonia and i tried everything that seemed to help but was'nt . I live in the San fernando valley in southern california and it's pretty much hot dry desert conditions here , especially now during the summer but i have 2 darlingtonia's outside and there doing just fine . they weather even get's up to more then 106 and they do fine sitting outside in the dry ehat . I don't know how they are able to survive but my setup is one darlingtonia in partial shade in a 5 inch plastic container that's always waterlogged and filled to the brim . It's potted in lfs , perlite and pumice , and some orchid bark . I have an aquarium air pump pumping air in it's root 24/7 in it's water lgoged conditions . But i don' think that it's the waterlogged aerated conditions that keep it alive because like i said , i broguth 2 darlingtonia and i wanted to experimen with them . The other darlingtonia was in it's original 3 inch pot with lfs and it's grow on a water tray in partial shade as well . the only physical difference between the plants is that the waterlogged aerated plant grew taller then the one grown like in normal conditions , the water logged plant also flowered twice , actually three times . So i don't know what it is that keeps them alive but maybe trying to ahrd to keep them alive is why darlingtonia is so hard to achieve satisfaction from [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]
    I remember your topic from way back when and I was doing a search for it. But I couldn't find it. All I could find was Darcie's reptile ornament set up. Could you bring it to the surface again?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry Jim , I don't know what topic your talking about but i do remmeber talking about the way i grow my darlingtonia in other post though .

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Travis, I have a mental image of a fish tank, with an airstone or being pumped underneath the plant. I remembering right?

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast